Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium Nitronickelate(s); help with synthesis?
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 19-1-2020 at 19:38
Potassium Nitronickelate(s); help with synthesis?

Howdy folks,
Just earlier I attempted to synthesize Potassium Hexanitronickelate by reacting aqueous solutions of Nickel(II) Chloride Hexahydrate and Sodium Nitrite, then adding aqueous Potassium Chloride solution to (hopefully) precipitate the product, much in a similar way to how one would add KCl to a solution of Sodium Hexanitrocobaltate to precipitate the insoluble Potassium salt. However, this did not seem to work like I thought it would. No color change, solid, or any type of visible reaction could be seen occurring. The original preparation called for the simple mixing of aqueous KNO2 + NiCl2 to precipitate the Hexanitronickelate as an orange to brown powder. I'm wondering if the Potassium Nitrite is really necessary, or if there's something else going on here. I'd prefer not buying KNO2 as it's not very economically friendly.

Edit: I can't seem to find anything on here which would answer my question, either.

[Edited on 1-20-2020 by Rhodanide]

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2020 at 14:02

Does nickel form a hexanitronickelate? Nickel has a tendency to form 4-fold coordinated complexes so you may get a tetranitronickelate instead; as with cyanide ions - nickel forms a stable tetracyanonickelate II ion. Nickel does not react in the same way as cobalt, in fact the precipitation of cobalt by potassium nitrite and an oxidizing agent was the classical method of separation of cobalt from nickel and copper. So don't expect to get a precipitate under similar conditions. This doesn't mean that nickel doesn't form a nitronickelate complex though, just that it is not so insoluble under the same conditions.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-1-2020 at 15:56

Yes, it does form- I've made it. A fellow named Chemstudent sent me the prep- not sure if he's still active on this board, or where I put the file he sent me.

ETA: Found it. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26095&...

[Edited on 25-1-2020 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top