Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for data on solubility of Erbium sulphate and Erbium iodide in water
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 03:23
Looking for data on solubility of Erbium sulphate and Erbium iodide in water

I looked online and in the reference books in the sciencemadness library for water solubility figures for erbium sulphate and erbium iodide.

Various places mentions the iodide ErI3 is soluble and indeed hygroscopic but I would like to see the actual figures at 20C and 100C and these I cannot find.

For Erbium(III) sulfate I can find a figure of 13.79g/100ml at 20C, and for Erbium(III) sulfate (octahydrate) 16g/100ml at 20C and 6.53 g/100ml at 40C. But I would like to know the figures at 100C.

Can anyone with better reference books or that knows where to find this info perhaps help?

Thanks in advance.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 09:21

Funny you ask this - my experience with erbium sulphate is that its solubility is very low. Thinking about it, I used an acid solution, which may have lowered the solubility at 10-20C compared to your figures, which I also found on Wikipedia.
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 3-2-2020 at 01:52

Most lanthanide sulphates are sparingly soluble in water and many have retrograde solubility curves, ie more soluble in cold water than hot. That makes preparing the pure salts an interesting endeavour. Anyway here is a solubility table I came across some time ago. I don't know how accurate it is but I've used it for recrystallisations and it seens to be OK.

Attachment: Solubility table.xls (120kB)
This file has been downloaded 284 times

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Go To Top