Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Raney Nickel preparation and how to use it for catalytic Hydrogenation
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 08:08
Raney Nickel preparation and how to use it for catalytic Hydrogenation

So in ceramic cup, I plan to short circuit two Carbon electrodes at Nickel pieces (or powder) and expect the Aluminum piece benight to melt as well. After I powderize the alloy using abrasive stone rotated by electric motor, or crush the alloy using hammer, Do I expect a lot of Carbides formed and does these contaminants screw later the leaching process with NaOH(aq) ?
How do I check if the Raney Nickel prepared by this method is able to reduce Acetone to 2-HydrOxy Propane or Benzaldehyde to Phenyl Methyl Hydroxide. How to check if it does reduce 2-Nitro Propane into 2-Amino Propane, Please Help. Is this the balanced reaction that I need to do for making it catalitic ?
NiAL3+2NaOH+6H2O>NiAL+2NaAL(OH)4+3H2

[Edited on 23-1-2020 by milovess]

[Edited on 23-1-2020 by milovess]

[Edited on 24-1-2020 by milovess]
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 08:31
Raney Nickel preparation and how to use it for catalytic Hydrogenation

So in ceramic cup, I plan to short circuit two Carbon electrodes at Nickel pieces (or powder) and expect the Aluminum piece benight to melt as well. After I powderize the alloy using abrasive stone rotated by electric motor, or crush the alloy using hammer, Do I expect a lot of Carbides formed and does these contaminants screw later the leaching process with NaOH(aq) ?
How do I check if the Raney Nickel prepared by this method is able to reduce Acetone to 2-HydrOxy Propane or Benzaldehyde to Phenyl Methyl Hydroxide. How to check if it does reduce 2-Nitro Propane into 2-Amino Propane, Please Help. Is this the balanced reaction that I need to do for making it catalitic ?
NiAL3+2NaOH+6H2O>NiAL+
2NaAL(OH)4+3H2

[Edited on 24-1-2020 by milovess]
stoichiometric_steve
International Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 22:43

Quote: Originally posted by milovess  

Benzaldehyde to Phenyl Methyl Hydroxide

at least you tried…

Quote: Originally posted by milovess  
How to check if it does reduce 2-Nitro Propane into 2-Amino Propane, Please Help

…but not enough.

EDIT: have someone take a spoon and feed it to you.

if it tastes like shit, you're spot on!

[Edited on 24-1-2020 by stoichiometric_steve]
njl
Hazard to Self

Mood: 20 miles into bat country

[*] posted on 24-1-2020 at 06:40

Do I smell cookery?

Either way, is this a valid prep for Raney Nickel? Can OP (or anyone) provide any refs?
Abromination
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Fumehood building!

[*] posted on 24-1-2020 at 06:48

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
Do I smell cookery?

Either way, is this a valid prep for Raney Nickel? Can OP (or anyone) provide any refs?

OP is a drug cook and you will not get any reference out of him. He wishes to use an ark furnace to melt the metals into an alloy, and I can not see this being a great method. He has also not considered the inhibiter metal required to make the catalyst an active and ternary alloy. I wont say anymore here, I do not wish to contribute to this mans amphetamines production.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-1-2020 at 06:51

[...] to reduce Acetone to 2-HydrOxy Propane[...] --> why would you want to do this? Academic interest :P
[...] or Benzaldehyde to Phenyl Methyl Hydroxide [...] --> most people want it the other way around ;)
[...] reduce 2-Nitro Propane into 2-Amino Propane [...] --> and now we really smell the little devil :D

Little devils have no place here, they usually are transferred to detritus. This one is no exception.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
24-1-2020 at 06:51
j_sum1
Administrator
Threads Merged
24-1-2020 at 17:18

Go To Top