Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Accidental ignition of copper powder.
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 26-1-2020 at 08:55
Accidental ignition of copper powder.

No harm done to myself or any equipment but hopefully someone else will avoid an accident.

I was drying some fine electrolytic copper powder, fine enough it would form a suspension in water for about a day. It was made by electrolysis of copper sulphate with some lead sulphate contamination. At first I was using a pyrex dish to evaporate the water from it, the material was reddish brown, turned from a slurry to a clay like consistency.

The mistake:
I was getting bored and wanted to hurry things along so I swapped out the pyrex dish for a bowl made from aluminium sheet. I put this in my heating mantle and turned it up to 6/10 (where i normally boil water).

After a couple of mins the clay like lumps on the outside had turned white (the PbSO4 impurity) and so I stirred it occasionally with a glass rod. Eventually I noticed the outside lumps starting to crumble into a powder but start turning from whitish to grey, and I started to smell burned match. I also noticed some sparks from when the stir rod disturbed fresh copper.

I thought well S**t it's lit now I hope it doesn't melt the aluminium or my heating mantle, so I turned off the heat and put the foil and contents outside. Ran to get the IR thermometer (facepalm upstairs) when I got back it was 300° but cooling.

Does anyone know the ignition temperature of fine copper?
I suppose the upside to accidentally nearly causing a fire was that the next step in my process was to set fire to it.
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 26-1-2020 at 09:35

The powder is more grey than black as CuO should be, so I thought it might be informative to look at it under my scope, looks like only the rough outer surface of the particles burned so I'll have to finish the job later.

Also, does anyone else think that looks like a tiny Gold nugget? (bottom middle)

WIN_20200126_17_28_38_Pro.jpg - 356kB
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2020 at 09:48

There will not be a single ignition temperature for a fine metal powder. Many metals form an oxide coating in air. If the metal has a large surface area self heating caused by the surface oxidation can increase the oxidation leading to thermal runaway and ignition. Particularly so if it contains a catalyst that may have been the contamination in your case.

For example iron powder hand warmers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer#Air_activated_(iron)

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top