Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preventing phenol degradation
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 2-2-2020 at 15:10
Preventing phenol degradation

Is there any way to prevent phenol from degrading in storage as a concentrated solution in NMP? As I understand it, phenols react with oxygen to form phenol radicals which can attack each other to form long ether messes.
If I want to preserve my phenol solution, I would assume to bubble N2 though it to try to displace all the O2, but is there anything else I could do?
Is there something I could add to act as a radical inhibitor in the solution?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 2-2-2020 at 15:52

It takes a while for phenol to oxidise or polymerize. You can just keep it sealed in a bottle in a cool, dry dark location in a sealed bottle and dissolve in a solvent when you need.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------

Go To Top