Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yes, I am cursed.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2020 at 17:31
Yes, I am cursed.

My new 130 cm Hempel column just arrived..

Unfortunately, it was a 132 cm Hempel when I bought it.

Why is it that the stuff that gets broken is always the hard stuff to replace?

I am now the proud owner of about 2.5 meters of broken vacuum jacketed distillation columns.

DSC04453.JPG - 3MB DSC04454.JPG - 2.8MB

I just picked up a leaky Oldershaw last week too.
Two of the bubble plates aren't quite sealed to the rim on one side and those levels don't maintain proper distillate levels.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 22-2-2020 at 18:21

Ouch. That hurts. Just broke my vertical condenser... i didn't really use it too much but it's still rough. It really was so beautiful to look at.
If it was broken during shipping, most sellers will replace it. It was their fault they didn't package it properly, after all.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2020 at 20:21

Unfortunately this was a used item That was in private hands, so replacement isn't possible.

It was shipped insured so I can get the money back, but these things are hard to find so of course I'd much rather have the glass.

A 14/20 jacketed Hempel that long doesn't show up every day. At least not one I can afford.

Don't know if repair is practical so close to the vacuum jacket, but I'll probably end up taking to a glassblower for an estimate eventually as it looks more fixable than my other big broken column. which is broken on the inside.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2020 at 18:51

That looks very fixable, as long as they have a > 2.5 M annealing oven. Good luck. I once shipped a 7 foot one, which was a nightmare of box in a box in a crate. Thankfully it survived.

My friend Ed once had a large column fixed, and then went and picked it up, put it in his back seat on some foam, drove back to work, and was rear ended on the way back, causing the column to shift and break. That was a bad day...

Go To Top