Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I'm scared
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 11:25

My girlfriend always complains that I've took something from the kitchen and it haven't returned... There are some rules that have to be set. Otherwise you risk that some day you will get sure that you hadn't clean the stuff as good, as you thought
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 05:44

whiew, makes me feel better at using a Bangalore torpedo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore_torpedo) to cut my steak with! if some one is using an "axe" to cut a simple omelet!

I handle lead, and mercury a lot, the trace amounts you dealing with there are of zero concern.

You need to learn more, fear is the resualt of ignorance, correct that ignorance and the fear is replaced with respect.

I have a good many absolute lethal things with death a s a certainty if they are miss handled they are respected but I do not fear them in the least, because fear makes you a dangerous person in handling materials.

IMO There is no such thing as a dangerous substance or object, only a dangerous person!

On a serious side note, where I am from a large machete is considered a kitchen aid!

[Edited on 8-3-2020 by XeonTheMGPony]
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 09:12

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
whiew, makes me feel better at using a Bangalore torpedo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore_torpedo) to cut my steak with! if some one is using an "axe" to cut a simple omelet!

I handle lead, and mercury a lot, the trace amounts you dealing with there are of zero concern.

You need to learn more, fear is the resualt of ignorance, correct that ignorance and the fear is replaced with respect.

I have a good many absolute lethal things with death a s a certainty if they are miss handled they are respected but I do not fear them in the least, because fear makes you a dangerous person in handling materials.

IMO There is no such thing as a dangerous substance or object, only a dangerous person!

On a serious side note, where I am from a large machete is considered a kitchen aid!

[Edited on 8-3-2020 by XeonTheMGPony]

Thank you so much xeon you really don't know how much I was freaking out and your text calmed me down so much

[Edited on 8-3-2020 by tahallium]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 16:29

As others have said, simply be diligent in cleaning tools right away, and short of chewing a chunk of lead every day the trace amounts will be of no issue.

Sadly now days the world has become hysterical over things like lead, mercury, and other chemicals.

When I was young we'd be allowed to play with mercury in school chem class, and make lead frames for stained glass in arts, now days a drip of mercury they'd evacuate the school and send in hazmat, mercury is the same then as it is now, but people in general have become dumber!

But it is still wise to avoid handling these compounds too much unnecessarily, as lots of exposure continuously is what will give you troubles in the long run.
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 18:32

I KNOW RIGHT?
I read in Wikipedia that The main use of arsenic is in alloying with lead. Lead components in car batteries are strengthened by the presence of a very small percentage of arsenic. and that's why I freaked out, but what you said is right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic?wprov=sfla1

‘A century ago, if you had a laboratory at home you weren’t a terrorist or making drugs, you were an innovator – someone who was exceptional in the pursuit of knowledge,’ says Lou Britton, who started doing chemistry at home in the US state of Ohio at the age of 13. ‘We’ve gone from creators to destroyers, and chemistry has been villainised.’ (I don't know what I posted this)

[Edited on 10-3-2020 by tahallium]
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 06:21

Oh! :o I'm so scared:o Do you know an ugly man tried to break into my laboratory early this morning saying that since today is Friday the 13th he would cut me with an axe soaked with the liquid from an old battery containing lead and arsenic? I don't know if I should be more scared by tetanus that I can be contaminated for by the rusty axe or by the liquid from the old battery that lead and arsenic has almost nothing.

Moral of the story: Be afraid of what can really hurt you, otherwise your imagination and your fears could actually kill you!
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 07:52

Well, I'll be in Tunis next week for work.

I'll be bringing back some minerals and leaving the lead and arsenic if I can.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 04:40

I'll take the lead please! My largest regret moving is I left 100 pounds of my lead stock to a friend, and my ultra pure lead back in BC when I moved.

Man do I miss the ultra pure for making lead salts. I hope that friend enjoyed the quality of bullet he got from that!!!!!!!

He made old style muskets and cast pure lead rounds for them to mimic ye olden days

Going to have to buy a few dozen buckets of tire weights and refine it to lead of moderate purity, that is going to be tedious when it comes.

BTY High velocity lead poisoning is very acute and dangerous! all ways avoid that form at all costs! Usually can be don by being vigilant of surroundings and paying attention to the world around you.
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2020 at 16:26

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Well, I'll be in Tunis next week for work.

I'll be bringing back some minerals and leaving the lead and arsenic if I can.

It'll be amazing to meet a chemist in rl! Can we meet?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 00:25

Unfortunately I was supposed to land on the 16th...
So the trip was cancelled !!

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top