Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rosco Bodine has been banned
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 09:09
Rosco Bodine has been banned

For an explanation, just take a look at his post history:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/search.php?srchuname=...

This forum has had a rule against discussing politics for 15+ years. Recent Rosco posts are peppered with political memes. He was a valuable contributor when he could stay on topic, and so I have been reluctant to take action in the past. But he's been pestering mods via U2U when his rants get trimmed. This action has to come from the top. It comes from me.

Please, everyone, leave your politics on places like Twitter and Facebook. Come here to discuss chemistry and related issues.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 10:07

He had to know there would be consequences.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 10:30

How does complete bans work?
Can RB still login?
Can he still recieve and read u2us?
Can he still edit his profile?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 11:27

I'll remember him for his BRILLIANT posts on picric acid.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 11:36

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
I'll remember him for his BRILLIANT posts on picric acid.

I've used his procedures in the past, they're really something. If only his contributions to this forum stayed so beneficial.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 12:49

I really enjoyed all of his post that I read that were chemistry related. Some really great post.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 13:12

Such a pity he couldn't leave his politics at the door. I guess he's been warned more than often enough.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 16:04

Glad i learned QUICK. Bfesser was here then.............

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 19:37
RB Posts

I looked over his posts. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of posting
political rants before but I don't get that last post by RB. Thresholds
are there for a reason. Cross over the line(and the moderators have
proven to be EXTREMELY tolerant over the years) and you're burned !
Truly a shame IMHO.

[Edited on 2020/3/5 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 19:47

I'm not going to miss him.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 20:16

I wasn't around for his more productive posts (in part because I don't have an interest in energetics), so all I've seen of him are his toxic rants against just about everyone. I feel like he knew he was still 'productive' enough to get away with this sort of thing, at least until recently.

Still, I have to wonder when and where he'll come back... he's not the type to take a ban lying down. Might become the new PHDChemist, in an odd way.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 07:40

I just simply HAD to log in and air a piece of my FILTHY linen here!

I have to admit that I found some of RB's post simply HILARIOUSLY ENTERTAINING!

Quote from elsewhere:
"That particular mass produced variety of hive mind IMBECILE are the self annointed and self appointed "thought police" who have the HUBRIS to task themselves to
"enlighten" the rest of a critical thinking humanity and do so by every Big Lie their poisoned intellect can conceive, being a proponent of every EVIL ABOMINATION that can be inflicted on man, woman, adult or child...as if THEY THE CLUELESS are qualified to be "leaders" of us all. What "qualification" it is, being EXEMPLARY PERVERTS and agents of HELL trying to sell the gullible a bill of goods is EXACTLY what is represented by those Pied Pipers followed by a HERD of equally "brilliant" like minded VERMIN."

Goodnight,

Yob

(Goodnight indeed!)
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 10:39

It is a shame it had to come to this. Rosco posted a lot great material on this forum. My best Picric acid yields came from the method he posted on this forum.
andy1988
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 12:48

I sympathize with him for speaking out for what he believed was propaganda. However the 'personal attack' on the opposition to his viewpoint and political meme (of U.S. politicians) was uncivil. It is unfortunate so much media is made and manipulated for moneyed interests... I think it spreads incivility in those not educated in spotting logical fallacies.

Interestingly this display was set up in my university library foyer yesterday:
IMG_20200306_122015.jpg - 822kB

I enjoyed the capitalization style as well, of early American Broadsides style.

The "rubbing two brain cells together" attack I've heard from my uncle before... they both probably heard it from an uncivil U.S. political commentator and reused it. So don't take that personally.

[Edited on 6-3-2020 by andy1988]

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 23:57

The self imposed isolation of SciMad forum as a monastic refuge from the actuality of the world at large aptly represents the withdrawn mindset of many here. Anyone who needs a ' safe space ' from other people’s opinions is by definition emotionally disturbed and in need of therapy. The parting words from the beleaguered Rosco Bodine echoes a distant lament that spans time.

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 01:51

Sorry franklyn. RB's problem was not really related to the views he holds. Many here, including myself share his views on many topics and disagree with him on others.

The problem has been the aggressive and antagonistic way in which he has aired his views. Anyone who disagrees with him on a point or has appeared to disagree has been subjected to personal and vitriolic attack. They have been categorised as belonging to a particular group of Rosco's own definition and lambasted for the views and actions of that group whatever opinions they hold on other matters. There are generally gross insinuations and assumed guilt by association (aften associations completely unknown to anyone not occupying Rosco's corner of the universe.) This has made civil discourse impossible.

And it is not like this has been a one-off occurrence either. This has been an ongoing and recurring problem for a long time. Rosco's most valuable contributions pre-date my joining the board. There has been no indication of any desire to moderate the expression of his views or to engage in a less caustic fashion. This is in spite of numerous appeals from mods over the years.

And that is all before we start talking about the oversized memes and youtube clips. Many of these are inspiring, clever or hilarious. It is just not the place: SM is not FB.

Polverone has eventually made a call. And it is appropriate coming from him rather than anyone else. I am disappointed for Rosco's sake because I am sure he liked being here. But I fully support Polverone's decision.

I, personally will not miss RB. His golden years were before my time and I really have seen little from him that I would call positive. But I do think the whole situation is sad: sad because he showed an inability to rein in his proclivities and he ends up losing something that he has been a part of for a long time.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 02:13

Case in point, franklyn.... On what basis do you accuse SM of having self-imposed isolation, of being monastic, of having a withdrawn mindset, of seeking "safe spaces" (with the modern negative connotations), of being disturbed, and of needing therapy. What evidence is there of anyone here seeking desperately to be on the side of the majority?

In a couple of short sentences you have fired off more than half a dozen unfounded accusations and insinuations and capped it off with a large meme that although is a nice quote, is just not relevant to what is going on. I repeat, your accusations have absolutely no evidential base, and are couched in an negative and disparaging manner.

In other words you are doing the exact same thing that got RB banned. I repeat, it was not any of his views. Rather it was the accusatory mode of expression. Please do not do this.

If you need to disappear for a year and a half like you did recently - as a form of self-imposed isolation, simply because you cannot adhere to some basic courtesies, then you are free to do so. There are members here who will spot the irony when they compare your own actions with what you have just posted. And, of course, if it needs to be involuntary, that can be arranged too.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 08:51

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=154962

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 10:11

Put a sock in it, Franklyn. This isn't about hiding from others, it's just a little place where we weirdos can talk freely. The one place where we're not automatically terrorists for playing with chemicals or even energetics. Politics can be discussed virtually everywhere, by anyone and with anyone.

If it were possible to discuss politics in a civil and respectful manner we wouldn't have this discussion. But it isn't, never have been and never will be.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 17:37

Wow, I guess he just didn't listen.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 06:37

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  
I just simply HAD to log in and air a piece of my FILTHY linen here!

I have to admit that I found some of RB's post simply HILARIOUSLY ENTERTAINING!

Quote from elsewhere:
"That particular mass produced variety of hive mind IMBECILE are the self annointed and self appointed "thought police" who have the HUBRIS to task themselves to
"enlighten" the rest of a critical thinking humanity and do so by every Big Lie their poisoned intellect can conceive, being a proponent of every EVIL ABOMINATION that can be inflicted on man, woman, adult or child...as if THEY THE CLUELESS are qualified to be "leaders" of us all. What "qualification" it is, being EXEMPLARY PERVERTS and agents of HELL trying to sell the gullible a bill of goods is EXACTLY what is represented by those Pied Pipers followed by a HERD of equally "brilliant" like minded VERMIN."

Goodnight,

Yob

(Goodnight indeed!)

Insanity is a sad thing, to have your own mind fold inside out of its self, and the horrible fact is at the same time thinking you are the sane one!

Those who hold mutually exclusive concepts int heir mind tend to end up like this sooner or later.

Chose reality folks, it is good for the mind, Fantasy so oft fails when stressed.

I hope he gets help (Or takes his meds again)

Perhaps some point he can be allowed back if he reaches stability again?
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 20:34

Well, this makes me sad...

It makes sense those who have the passions we have also have strong political viewpoints. Can we set up another sub forum to talk about political issues?

I have seen too many heavyweights leave this forum... especially on the energetic side.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 20:51
re: too harsh

I totally disagree about banning Rosco bodine. He has been a good member and I’ve learned a lot from him.

Yes he does express his political views and maybe we should have a forum for science and politics ... that way people can talk and discuss their different points of view.

Just because someone has a different political conviction we should not ban them! Rosco has been a member longer then most of the moderator!

Can’t people just agree to be different without hating each other and banning them?

Please instate him! !
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 20:56

Reality can no longer be evaded or hidden from. It would be nice if the Corona virus could
so easily be rejected into Detritus along with the dire circumstances it has made undeniable.

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=331&v=EbyPW8lJX2E&am...

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=154890

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=154926

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 23:20

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
Just because someone has a different political conviction we should not ban them! Rosco has been a member longer then most of the moderator!

Can’t people just agree to be different without hating each other and banning them?

He wasn't banned for having a different opinion- he was banned for being an asshole about it. This is a chemistry forum, and if you can't shut up about Trump, Clinton, creationism, or any other non-chemistry-related subject, you ought to find another forum to spout off on.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top