Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Confirming the presence of chloromethane
Σldritch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2020 at 01:56
Confirming the presence of chloromethane

I need to confirm that a synthesis of chloromethane works. The best proof available to me seems to be bubbling the product through Sodium Hydroxide then titrating that with Silver Nitrate and measuring the amount of chloride produced. First problem is, altough unlikely, hydrochloric acid may be produced which would invalidate the result. As i see it there are two ways to ensure all the product reacts with the Sodium Hydroxide. The first option is to cool the Sodium Hydroxide solution to increase the solubility of the chloromethane to allow it more time to react. The second option is heating the Sodium Hydroxide solution increasing reaction rate. I believe the second option would be more effective as reaction rate increases very fast with temperature. Still, would it be enough to react with all the chloromethane? Is there an easier way to do it?

I will make sure to post the synthesis if it works.
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2020 at 02:48

React with a solution of thiourea and then treat with alkali carbonate. Can you smell the methyl mercaptan? Yes methyl chloride was probably present :)
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2020 at 18:03

Isn't methyl mercaptan skunk essence? I'm guessing it's unpleasant to say the least.
If u were going to do that test I'd use a single drop in a disposable test tube outside with a fan blowing away from you.u do not want to generate mercaptans.

Go To Top