Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disinfection of hands with isopropanol from the coronovirus
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 21:14
Disinfection of hands with isopropanol from the coronovirus

Is isopropanol killing coronavirus? I heard that it needs to be diluted with water to do so. I using it, don't know if it works. And you can get 5 litre canister of isopropanol for the price of a little bottle of hand sanitiser.

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by Romix]

Romix

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 21:29

Every time I go out to the shop I wear 3M respirator with N95 filters. And swimming goggles. I read that you can get infected with coronavirus by virus getting in your eyes.

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 02:27

Everything I have read says its a contact virus from droplets, its not air born. I believe gloves and masks are a waste of money. Really you wearing a mask just prevents you from sneezing or coughing on me. If you can keep your hands out of your eyes, nose and mouth until you wash them with soap you will be fine. I sanitize at store entrances in my city for other peoples peace of mind, they don't know what I have touched, but I can control my hands so I feel safe, just maintain the 2m social distance.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 05:29

There's some evidence that it can be aerosolized. For example viral RNA has been found in hospital air ducts. But droplets are probably the most important means of transmission.

I would wear goggles and a mask just in case anyone coughs nearby. (But I haven't left my property in more than 2 weeks so that's unlikely.)

For protection against droplets a cloth mask provides most of the benefit of an N95.

Also: we really need to get the general public wearing masks! Even if they're not very good at protecting the wearer, they certainly slow transmission if an infected person is wearing one. And many people don't realize they're infected. If everyone wore cloth masks the spread would quickly drop.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Romix

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 09:30

Just saw a video on the news, in India people that came out from house are being beaten by police with sticks, they not allowed out.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 10:52

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
There's some evidence that it can be aerosolized. For example viral RNA has been found in hospital air ducts. But droplets are probably the most important means of transmission.

Yes you are correct, it has been shown to be aerosolized by man made means.

Also: we really need to get the general public wearing masks! Even if they're not very good at protecting the wearer, they certainly slow transmission if an infected person is wearing one. And many people don't realize they're infected. If everyone wore cloth masks the spread would quickly drop.

That is a very good point. people can be asymptomatic and not even know they are spreading it. I stay home as much as possible.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 13:23

Also: we really need to get the general public wearing masks! Even if they're not very good at protecting the wearer, they certainly slow transmission if an infected person is wearing one.

Seems common sense but not for many including our politicians worldwide.
Meanwhile... look at Taiwan. I think there's a lesson to be learned there !

@Syn: The trouble with asymptomatic people is that even if you tell them they're infected they'll deny. Thnk std's

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by Herr Haber]

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 6-4-2020 at 14:26

On iso-propyl alcohol. The claim is, that the virus is fragile outside of a host. 3 pints of 99% isopropyl alcohol mixed with 1 pint Aloe vera gel, should produce a decent hand sanitizer. No promises.

Of course, droplets containing the virus are generated by coughing, speaking or even breathing. If you breath them in, you could become infected. Likewise, if you touch a surface that has droplets on it, and then touch your mouth, nose or eyes, you figure to become infected.

I'm in Portland where fatalities aren't overwhelming yet. But, I ain't going outside, and no-one else is getting inside either.

Groceries? I have them delivered. After a few days of untouched quarantine on my back porch, I use a paint brush to swab down suspect items with 99% iso-propyl alcohol. I let 'em dry, and with another brush I lather up said items with a Clorox solution containing 1 cup Clorox in 1 gallon of water. The solution won't stick unless you use some bar soap, like you would shaving soap.
With your paint brush, lather up your bar soap/ Clorox solution in a mug, paint in on and let it sit 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse it off and let the stuff dry. Then with trepidation, I bring it inside.

A word of caution: authors have suggested a persistence of virus on porous objects, for about a day. On plastics or metals, it may persist for up to three days. Don't trust that yardstick. It appears those projections are factored at room temperature. 72F in the USA. At colder temperatures, the virus might survive much longer. In Portland, daytime temperatures have been hovering in the 50s.
So... I have little faith, that just a few days on my cold back porch , is enough to sterilize food packages.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 6-4-2020 at 15:51

That's a lot of bleach and aloe. Easier to wash your hands than your surroundings and possessions.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2020 at 18:27

Strange to see crowds so soon.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/asia/china-coronavirus-touris...
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 04:42

CNN AGAIN?! do u not have a more credible source of info?!
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 15:06

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

Who would you suggest? Breitbart/Fox/OAN??????
You sir, just placed this thread in queue for detritus.

[Edited on 4/7/2020 by morganbw]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 18:00

Verisimilitude ...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VfeyLqU7hu8

[Edited on 8-4-2020 by Morgan]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2020 at 15:11

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
On iso-propyl alcohol. The claim is, that the virus is fragile outside of a host. 3 pints of 99% isopropyl alcohol mixed with 1 pint Aloe vera gel, should produce a decent hand sanitizer. No promises.

Of course, droplets containing the virus are generated by coughing, speaking or even breathing. If you breath them in, you could become infected. Likewise, if you touch a surface that has droplets on it, and then touch your mouth, nose or eyes, you figure to become infected.

I'm in Portland where fatalities aren't overwhelming yet. But, I ain't going outside, and no-one else is getting inside either.

Groceries? I have them delivered. After a few days of untouched quarantine on my back porch, I use a paint brush to swab down suspect items with 99% iso-propyl alcohol. I let 'em dry, and with another brush I lather up said items with a Clorox solution containing 1 cup Clorox in 1 gallon of water. The solution won't stick unless you use some bar soap, like you would shaving soap.
With your paint brush, lather up your bar soap/ Clorox solution in a mug, paint in on and let it sit 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse it off and let the stuff dry. Then with trepidation, I bring it inside.

A word of caution: authors have suggested a persistence of virus on porous objects, for about a day. On plastics or metals, it may persist for up to three days. Don't trust that yardstick. It appears those projections are factored at room temperature. 72F in the USA. At colder temperatures, the virus might survive much longer. In Portland, daytime temperatures have been hovering in the 50s.
So... I have little faith, that just a few days on my cold back porch , is enough to sterilize food packages.

Hey Zed, if you've got, or can get, a good ozone source you could just put the delivery in a box and ozone your groceries for a while on the back porch.

Not that it'd be more effective than bleach/surfactant, but it would be easier, and would cut down on your exposure to the uncleaned goods.

I believe you can even ozone most produce without messing it up too much. maybe not your leafy greens or freshly collected chanterelles, but at least your more solid foods like potatoes, tomatoes etc.

An Ozone producing uvc bulb in the box ought to work too. Like the ones they sell for sterilizing your aquarium. (6 to 15 Watts usually.)

No, I don't do this. But I may start if infection rates go up.

Romix

[*] posted on 8-4-2020 at 16:58

Checked today, price on ebay on isopropyl alcohol went up!! 3 months ago I bought 5 litre for 10-15£. Now cheapest one I found cost 70£.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 00:47

Infection rates are up. Way up. Most infections are invisible, until it is too late. With little warning, an avalanches of bodies are produced.

Stock up a bit, and stay home a lot. Washington State, went from a couple of DBs, to 20, then 200, and now 400, in just a few weeks. Gonna be plenty more, I fear. Folks who were quietly infected several weeks ago, regrettably will sicken and die. That epicenter, is about two hundred miles from me.

As luck would have it, I have a gallon or so of 99% isopropyl alcohol on hand. 8 pints of Swan brand, courtesy of my local Fred Meyer. Been around the house for a few years.

I don't know when I'll have a chance to re-supply though. Profiteering has reared its ugly head. Folks can't seem to resist the siren song of easy profits, based on ransoming life-saving commodities.

Me? I'm trying to help my friends and neighbors to survive. It's a common practice here in Portland. Most folks around here are trying to help one another. Crisis has brought forth their "better angels".

At the same time, for other folks it has brought out the worst in them.

Over a thousand people have tested positive here in Oregon; most of them within a few miles of me.. Only 30 or 40 dead so far, but numbers tend to explode. 10 people this week, a hundred people next week, a few weeks later... a thousand.

ps... Oregon is an Everclear state. 95% beverage Ethanol is available here.

Some of the local distillers are using Ethanol to make hand sanitizer, that they then distribute, more-or-less for free, to critical care workers. Theoretically, there is a hefty tax on the sale of beverage Ethanol, and non-taxed use requires special permits. But, I can't imagine there will be a stink about producing rivers of the stuff, to save lives.

[Edited on 10-4-2020 by zed]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 05:56

Situation over here is bad, but stabilizing somewhat.

Appr. 2500 people died, registered COVID-19. However, the total number of people who died in the last month is much higher than the total number of people who died in the same spring period of 2019 and 2018. Based on that info, the estimated number of dead people, due to corona virus is now between 5000 and 7500 for NL. The death toll on a per day basis, fortunately, is slowly going down though.
The number of registered people, being sick of corona, is appr. 25000 at the moment of writing. Again, the real number of affected people is much higher, many are not (yet) sick.

I myself go out a few times per day, walking or biking. I need that in order to keep myself mentally OK, especially if the weather is good (and it is, we have fantastic spring weather, warm and sunny). I am not afraid of getting infected by being outside and passing quickly around a person, who also is biking or walking. I also go to the supermarket twice a week. My wife, however, is working in health care, and she gets in physical contact with appr. 10 people every day, and there is no protection at all. That certainly introduces a risk of infection, but we cannot leave all those people without anyone taking care of them.
I do not believe in any effect of mouth masks, gloves and that kind of stuff for the general public. It's a waste of money and it is best if we leave those scarce resources available for people in health care who really need them.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 08:29

What Woelen is saying... I have been in hospital for the last three days and have to go back every morning for one hour the next week every morning. Things are not too bad, I overheard nurses who work at Corona departments. They say they are not too worried but they just hope they can go on holidays anytime soon.
When I was in I could walk up to a door in half a minute with a big sign "don't enter, Corona". Just don't go in, everything should be fine.

I couldn't get more then one visitor at a time, that was a shame, but that was the worst.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 23:15

Personally, I'm older than sin, and my liver isn't currently worth the paper it is printed on.

As such, I have little faith in my diminished recuperative capabilities.

I'm staying at home and having my groceries delivered.

I talk to my friends on the phone daily, and at the moment, My mental health is OK.

At last, an era where my phobias are a positive asset.

[Edited on 10-4-2020 by zed]
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 02:42

@morganbw when did i force u to only cite from rightwing media? there r literally >1 leftwing media to cite, and anything is better than cnn, so y would any normal person cite cnn?
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 08:40

@morganbw when did i force u to only cite from rightwing media? there r literally >1 leftwing media to cite, and anything is better than cnn, so y would any normal person cite cnn?

If you think the news in that particular article is bogus, debunk it with facts, or provide better information yourself. The forum has nothing to gain from hearing your news or political preferences. I also don't imagine you'd find any particularly slanted information in an article dicussing day-to-day current events pertaining to the coronavirus in a foreign country. It's not exactly highly politicizable content.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 09:31

We were going to make some at work but they dropped it over flammability concerns (of all things), or so they say. I already have everything to make the WHO formulation for my own use, so I haven't checked stores. I'm not sure what's wrong with straight 70 or 91% IPA...I've washed my hands with 91% IPA often for several years at work.

so y would any normal person cite cnn?

Wouldn't it be easier to solve this problem by deleting your account, rather than trying to prevent people from posting links to future pages at sites blacklisted as "them" by propagandists who are "us"?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 14:05

I am using the 91% IPA in a spray bottle. It does not all evaporate in their 20 second mandate so I feel it is good. Works great for cleaning my reading glasses as well.

Go To Top