Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cole Parmer 4800 Mark I parts
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 15-4-2020 at 17:37
Cole Parmer 4800 Mark I parts

So, I was given one of Ebay post for same model by a neighbor who was moving, along with a small retort, and some old ground glass stoppered reagent bottles with raised lettering and a liter of DMSO.

I checked it out and it heats and controls heat fine, however the motor for stirring is very rough and sounded like it needed cleaned badly.

I got it apart (PITA) and found that there is a simple gear box that reduces down a shaded pole motor. However the gears have seen a lot of wear. Knowing that this thing is ancient and no aftermarket parts are available I thought I would check to see if anyone out there might have a gearbox/motor laying around in a bin that they would be willing to part with. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before I start trying to figure out how to fit a more modern alternative to drive the magnetic stirrer.

Thanks!!

motor gear.jpg - 53kB

gearbox.jpg - 55kB
p4rtridg3
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 18:36

If I were you I would just hook up a modern replacement motor. Not worth trying to find the exact gearbox.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 18:59

They had one that was the exact same shape on an episode of CSI that cult up and caused an explosion.really weird how it's so tall for such a small looking hotplate.
Tall and thin rather than short and fat.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 05:10

Maybe forget the gearbox and adjust the speed of the motor directly? Using a variable frequency drive. The motor is probably low power so a VFD shouldn't be too expensive.
Endo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 15:21

Great Idea Heptylene. I will look into it, it may be easier to core out the gear box and clamp on one of those 3d printer couplings. The other idea was to decide if I can cram a stepper motor, power module and an appropriate stepper driver in there (maybe a arduino pro mini).
Endo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 16:06

Looks like a DC motor, pwm controller, and coupler only sets me back 13$ Should all fit too :)

Go To Top