Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Evaporating bleach - what would come out?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 31-8-2020 at 13:22

I'm in possession of scientific equipment you can't even dream of! I don't need to explain anything...that Canadian guy seems to do a lot of twisting there...does the bleach and chlorate industry agree with him like in practice? AFAIK bleach *actually* needs hydroxide, and chlorate cells *actually* operate under almost the exact conditions of Foerster, who I posted here a while back IIRC. They don't add acid for convenience.

If someone was to boil down or evaporate bleach without distillation, this is definitely an outside job. I suspect the boiled bleach would be more salt, but it would be interesting to find which loses more Cl as well as O.

The addition of acids to hypochlorite, yea and verily even carbonic acid, does not necessarily result in pure hypochlorous acid and in fact it rarely does. (BTW HTH and H2SO4 or HCl can be used to generate chlorine)

[Edited on 31-8-2020 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:26

Heating bleach NaClO produces NaCl, NaClO3 as well as gaseous O2 & Cl2 mixture going out. The real balance between O2 and Cl2 is probably depending on many factors including d-metals contamination, speed of temperature changing etc. but practically I believe you can do it inside a flask with a stopper and a hose going out from your window.
Heating Ca(ClO)2 produces CaCl2, O2 and Cl2 but, for some reason, not Ca(ClO3)2.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 08:43

Ca(OH)2 in a chlorate cell could be a problem for sure, but chlorate can definitely be obtained from HTH even with free alkali, IDK why everyone thinks otherwise. Governments are happy with this and certainly my enthusiasm for online OTC poisoning/blowing-things-up advice diminishes daily.

Obviously if one is using glassware (I never have for this) there are options.

How sexist of me to assume the Canadian is a dude...he/she mentions dilution like no one noticed it before, but Foerster did say dilution is good. Off-topic but BTW Foerster wrote a book, and someone did a good job scanning the third edition:
https://archive.org/details/ElektrochemieWassrigerLosungen19...

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2020 at 01:16

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Ca(OH)2 in a chlorate cell could be a problem for sure, but chlorate can definitely be obtained from HTH even with free alkali, IDK why everyone thinks otherwise. Governments are happy with this and certainly my enthusiasm for online OTC poisoning/blowing-things-up advice diminishes daily.

Obviously if one is using glassware (I never have for this) there are options.

How sexist of me to assume the Canadian is a dude...he/she mentions dilution like no one noticed it before, but Foerster did say dilution is good. Off-topic but BTW Foerster wrote a book, and someone did a good job scanning the third edition:
https://archive.org/details/ElektrochemieWassrigerLosungen19...

Are you talking about me as the Canadian guy? I'm not Canadian in case you're referring to me. Also can you provide some sources for the need of hydroxide to convert ClO to ClO3? How does the electrolysis of Cl- work then? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a conversion from Cl to ClO and then a disproportionation to ClO3 (with extra heating if using sodium salt)??? That requires no hydroxide and no one uses hydroxide AFAIK.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 2-9-2020 at 16:48

Quote: Originally posted by aromaticfanatic  
Are you talking about me as the Canadian guy? I'm not Canadian in case you're referring to me. Also can you provide some sources for the need of hydroxide to convert ClO to ClO3?

You're the one posting links to the Canadian govt science publishing house, for Canadians in Canada...and saying I said things I'd never say...don't know what to tell you.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top