Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mel-Temp 3.0 - how long do elements last?
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2020 at 12:25
Mel-Temp 3.0 - how long do elements last?

How long do the elements typically last in these machines (or melting apparatuses in general) and how easy are they to source? I imagine getting a direct OEM replacement would be horrendously expensive if not impossible, but can you hack together a generic element to work if it ever burnt out?

Also, do these machines take standard size capillaries? I searched for a manual but I'm not finding much information.I can find OEM branded capillaries but not many places sell them and they're something like $0.50 each. If cheap Chinese capillaries that cost $0.05 each work just as well that would be ideal.

(I've contacted the seller, he's not sure about any of these questions.)

Manual: http://www.davis.com/Assets/manual_pdfs/LT1186X4%20%20MelTem...

[Edited on 4-28-2020 by monolithic]

[Edited on 4-28-2020 by monolithic]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2020 at 17:05

That's a fancy one, but likely uses normal capillaries. ( I do have some vials of mp tubes, not sure if they are as cheap as $0.05 each, but close.) I have never heard of changing the element in them, so I guess they last a long time. And most elements, other than uranium, radium, and such, last forever...
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 09:52

Glad to hear the elements don't commonly burn out. I think I have some capillaries sitting around in my storage bin, will definitely let you know if I need some. :) The seller has a few left for anyone who wants a very solid deal on a melting point apparatus. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-2-LABORATORY-DEVICES-MEL-TEM...

Go To Top