Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nickel and cobalt molybdates curshing
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 01:51
Nickel and cobalt molybdates curshing

Hi.

Today I crushed some CoMoO4 and NiMoO4. I was really careful, I crushed it carefully with a screwdriver and fingers (in gloves of course) directly on filter paper. I don't want it as a fine powder, but I also don't want big pieces of it. Just coarse powder or something like that.

When I crushed CoMoO4 and transfer it on petri dish, maybe I created some dust. I felt something weird in the air for a very short time. After few minutes I felt very weak scratching in the throat, but few minutes after drinking it stops. But maybe I was only thirsty. I don't know. I don't remember if I had the same issue with NiMoO4. I doubt that I created much dust.

I just want to tell, when you work with powdered chromates, Ni, Co salts etc. don't be stupid like me and work with it outside and idealy with respiratory. Next time I'll don't be that stupid (especially because I live with asthmatic).

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2021 at 04:58

I agree with you.it is better to do this work outside. From my experience, every time when I was making the powder, a small amount was constantly dispersing in the air. For several weeks I felt a metallic taste on my tongue, it became very unpleasant, but according to the medical tests I was fine. I say that this process may not end fatally, though it is uncomfortable because even that cadmium oxide that is blown into the air will go nowhere and stay in the room.

Go To Top