Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cryo Refrigerated Well ... thingy
Diurea
Harmless

Mood: Yes

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 15:33
Cryo Refrigerated Well ... thingy

I was hoping one of you guys could help me. I saw random picture of someone with a typical distillation setup except there receiving flask had an electronic cooling device. I assume it was refrigerated. It would be like a heating mantle except cold.

Anyone know what you call such a thing?
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 16:40

Refrigerated cold trap.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 17:05

They make Cold plates that use Peltier cooling to chill a small metal plate.
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 17:18

Cryogenic cooling. I remember applied science using a real cryo machine in his anhydrous ammonia video. The more accessible option is usually dry ice in a suitable liquid (acetone or alcohol usually). Very useful and very cheap.
Diurea
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 07:03

Thanks for all replies. If anyone comes up with a link. Please post. I’ll try and find the picture again. I am going to say it’s not a perkier junction because it seemed like it was in place of doing dry ice so it would be outside temp range of a peltier.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
Cryogenic cooling. I remember applied science using a real cryo machine in his anhydrous ammonia video. The more accessible option is usually dry ice in a suitable liquid (acetone or alcohol usually). Very useful and very cheap.

Only more accessible if you live somewhere that you can easily get dry ice. I wish I could just waltz into a shop and pick some up. But I can't. If I want dry ice, I would have to order it online, at ridiculously high prices, and of course you can't really store it long. That or the fire extinguisher method, I suppose...
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 17:31

I'd be very interested in a Peltier cooled flask container thing, if a good one exists. Even just to freezing, it would be very convenient to have for example a vacuum pump trap just be plugged into the wall and go cold each time you turn on your pump, not having to try and get ice and replace the ice and get an icebath etc etc
Diurea
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 21:03
Hmmm...

Pricey but could be an interesting mod

Whynter ICM-15LS Ice Cream Maker, Stainless Steel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N8KD5M/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i...
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 23:56

Not sure if this is what you mean

https://www.labdepotinc.com/p-63202-thermo-scientific-ek-imm...
If money were free ^^^, at least the shipping is only 40$

You can find old models on sale if your lucky or know where to look. I ended up with one of these on random chance of stopping by a thrift store. 80$. Thing weighs over a hundred pounds easy, not fun to load. I really lucked out, he bought an auction from Chico state University, and it languished in his shop till I walked away.

NESLAB CC-100 IMMERSION COOLER
neslab-cryocool-cc-100-1-3108-600x450.jpg - 37kB

The specs say -25°C to -90°C with the lower being a no load stat.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2020 at 04:33

Something like 4 : 30
here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_DD2_7QkRk
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 23-6-2020 at 13:39

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
I'd be very interested in a Peltier cooled flask container thing, if a good one exists.

One would want to take a close look at the specs. A typical Peltier has little ability to transfer heat under ideal conditions. Perhaps the newer models use fans instead of water. Something with a metal bottom and insulation might get pretty cold, but it'll take a while. Some sort of "thermal grease" is almost necessary with glass.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2020 at 16:17

if you can do quality soldering (Brazing preferred you can make a -80c cold trap

Attachment: Alcohol_Cold_Trap.pdf (684kB)
This file has been downloaded 247 times

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 23-6-2020 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Even just to freezing, it would be very convenient to have for example a vacuum pump trap just be plugged into the wall and go cold each time you turn on your pump, not having to try and get ice and replace the ice and get an icebath etc etc

Labconco makes a basic refrigerated cold or colder trap for their centrivap evaporator, and the cannabis distiller bro supplier industry has a modified baffled KF insert for the current version of it. These are a bit pricey new, but it seems that's what they can charge.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Diurea
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2020 at 12:14
Unionised Nailed It

@Unionised Nailed it. You can see why I was looking at ice cream makers now lol. I even though you could modify the ice cream mixer for a stir bar... can’t think of a use though.

I can’t seem to find whatever that thing is called though ?? Love to find one for sale (although the cost may be upward). Got a name? I got to get my headset to listen to video..

@Violet Sin - I like the immersion cooler. But for my needs I’ve modified a 5 gallon bucket with a copper coil in it in a half size freezer (used from ebay). 0deg is cold enough. Just tired of going through ice really on recirculating water. I have to use antifreeze in my water (pure oversight second time I used inside pipe froze).

I have an idea for recirculating ethanol in dry ice for really cold efficient condensing. I figure ethanol might be pump seal friendly (unlike acetone). Anyway I’m hijacking my own thread, off subject.

[Edited on 24-6-2020 by Diurea]
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 24-6-2020 at 12:38

I remember there was a discussion about reefed cold traps sometime ago.

In that topic it was stated that the capacity of ordinary chest freezer pump can easily be exceeded, but this can be compensated by filling the freezer with large thermal mass, in order to buffer the temp. Freezing 100 liters of CaCl2 solution to -35C gradually over time creates huge buffer, which can be used to cool down quite large coolant masses. The lid can be changed into an insulating panel for throughputs for circulating tubes. Anything that boils down to -30C should be able to be condensed with such setup, because condenser tubing can be elongated, compensating the low temperature difference.

Cheapest chest freezer (100L volume) goes for $99 and it freezes 9kg per 24h, or 375g/h, or ~0.1g/s. Whenever I get a space for my lab, I will invest into one whenever I need cryogenic coolant.

Not sure if ordinary aquarium pumps can handle -35C liquids, though.

Problem with dry ice is that for most people it is hard to obtain and extremely expensive compared to unit per use. A single procedure can easily cost 50 bucks including shipping and handling of the ice, and the procedure will be time sensitive from the moment the dry ice is handed over, because it sublimes in no time. Even larger bulks of it can only last for a couple of days in well insulated boxes.

[Edited on 24-6-2020 by Refinery]
Diurea
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2020 at 14:11

Freezer comment - that’s exactly what I’d do. I take a five gallon bucket with 1/2” copper tubing spiraled from top to bottom. The base of the tubing (output tube) takes a 90 degree upward turn to meet back with input tube and both tubes exit through holes I put in the freezer. Unfortunately it takes some forethought and disassembling to figure out where to put the holes to miss the coils in the freezer. I fill the bucket with water (thermal mass). Takes two days to really freeze solid.

First time I ran. Worked great. Second time or attempt rather I realized I left water in the pipe... oops. Antifreeze is your friend. Plus automotive green stuff makes your condenser look cool under black light....

Regard to pump cold ethanol. - I had the same concern about the pond pump and frigid temps. If I ever try I’ll definitely post. My first thoughts are viscosity would be fine for ethanol at that temp and I’m purely guessing on corrosion or breaking down seals. Hard to say material selection, glues if any, etc during manufacturing. I don’t think cold alone is enough to damage anything in that style impeller pump. Please point out anything you think I’m missing.

Agree on dry ice cost although I just run to the local grocery store.

Thank you guys for all your input.
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2020 at 14:17

CaCl2 is good coolant and used in food industry. Corrosion is issue for what it matters.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2020 at 03:37

why I prefer glycol secondary loops.
Diurea
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 18:57

Freezer comment - that’s exactly what I’d do. I take a five gallon bucket with 1/2” copper tubing spiraled from top to bottom. The base of the tubing (output tube) takes a 90 degree upward turn to meet back with input tube and both tubes exit through holes I put in the freezer. Unfortunately it takes some forethought and disassembling to figure out where to put the holes to miss the coils in the freezer. I fill the bucket with water (thermal mass). Takes two days to really freeze solid.

First time I ran. Worked great. Second time or attempt rather I realized I left water in the pipe... oops. Antifreeze is your friend. Plus automotive green stuff makes your condenser look cool under black light....

Regard to pump cold ethanol. - I had the same concern about the pond pump and frigid temps. If I ever try I’ll definitely post. My first thoughts are viscosity would be fine for ethanol at that temp and I’m purely guessing on corrosion or breaking down seals. Hard to say material selection, glues if any, etc during manufacturing. I don’t think cold alone is enough to damage anything in that style impeller pump. Please point out anything you think I’m missing.

Agree on dry ice cost although I just run to the local grocery store.

Thank you guys for all your input.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2020 at 00:35

A recirculating chiller? Refrigerated bath?
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2020 at 07:16

The freezer cannot sustain refrigeration on long run, but if it's filled with 100kg of -35C ice, it'll take quite a while to bring that over 0C.

Of course any cryogenic trap should only be used directly for this only purpose. Circulating high temp coolant would be just plain stupid.

Go To Top