Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Which brand is best? [glassware]
TmNhRhMgBrSe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 01:00
Which brand is best? [glassware]

Someone give Bomex, Kimax Kimble USA, Boeco Germany brand glassware me. Which is best?

[edit by mod] title clarification

[Edited on 11-5-2020 by j_sum1]
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 01:53

Simax is my go to. I have never had an issue with it.
TmNhRhMgBrSe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 02:54

What about I said that 3 brands?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 03:28

Most of mine is non-branded Chinese glassware. I prefer to break the cheap stuff.

Or more specific to your question, I don't know how many people will have had experience of all of these brands to compare them. That which is good, lasts. And so you don't get to compare them side by side.

If they are a gift, enjoy them.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 03:48

When Bomex first started coming out there were posts on this forum about beakers and other components failing and that it being shoddy/cheap glassware and not to be trusted. My gut is that those issues have been worked out and they have been producing decent glassware for awhile. That being said I've never used Bomex.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Duff
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 05:34

Can anyone recommend Laboy glassware? I am looking to buy a Schlenk line and they seem to have inexpensive options.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 06:08

tbh, I made a purchase on amazon of a set of 24/40 from Ding glassware in China and they have been solid. I have dropped flasks, my 105 vacuum take-off adapter fell and landed on my sep funnel, the takeoff didn't fare well but the sep funnel is still fine. I also fropped my graham condenser on my allhin condenser and they are both fine. The price was cheap for lots of glassware and like j_sum1 said its better to break the cheap Chinese stuff anyway.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 06:25

Quote: Originally posted by CELamCheng  
Someone give Bomex, Kimax Kimble USA, Boeco Germany brand glassware me. Which is best?
Kimax is great all around. Bomex can be shoddy. I've seen perfectly acceptable glassware from them, and also some very scary looking pieces with large bubbles and uneven bases (beakers shouldn't rock back and forth!). The only Bomex piece that I personally own is a 250 mL graduated cylinder that I bought at a science store since it appeared to be on the good end of the quality spectrum. I don't have any experience with Boeco.

Quote: Originally posted by Duff  
Can anyone recommend Laboy glassware? I am looking to buy a Schlenk line and they seem to have inexpensive options.
Laboy glass is very high quality for its price. You can find a number of threads here extolling their products. I haven't used one of their Schlenk lines, but I would bet it would be more than adequate.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 10:38

I have cheap Polish glassware from China, company named "Chemland".

It's good enough although it breaks from time to time, but I don't give damn because it is so cheap and if something breaks, I can try something new.

And another reason is, that after using it for some time it becomes scratched or misty because of chemicals reacting with it or precipitating on it, unable to be cleaned. Now I'm using only one RBF that I have left and after a month of using it all the time it looks bad.

I don't know if that's the case with more expensive glassware, but I guess so. That's either why I don't mind changing my glassware from time to time.
With new and good looking equipment I can be the one who controls pretty pictures topic :cool:

[Edited on 11-5-2020 by mackolol]
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 14:19

lol, it won't be 'Polish' glassware if it's from China. :-p
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 23:22

Quote: Originally posted by G-Coupled  
lol, it won't be 'Polish' glassware if it's from China. :-p

Haha it sounds as it sounds. I mean that it is Polish company that imports their glass, but I was wrong, I thought that they take it from China, but they take it from Italy/Germany as I checked now.
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 00:44

You mean it's a Polish company that sells Italian/German made glass?

If so, sounds like potential quality, but potentially expensive.
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 10:14

The german brands, Simax and Bomex has served me well.
My choice is Schott Duran from Germany if you can get it. Have dropped flasks and actually had them just about bounce without breaking before. Have been putting the same pieces under vacuum for a decade now.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 10:43

Quote: Originally posted by mackolol  
company named "Chemland"

All I can say - great value to quality ratio. Dirty cheap, almost zero problems.
One thing which broke was the thermometer adapter (the one which was never used - so maybe it was damaged in transport).
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 13:55

No clue on which is the best.
I use cheap chinese glassware which has withstood some serious robust crap.
I would drive a Mercedes if I had the money but the glassware that I mostly sourced is from Deschem (my spelling may off :) ) has served me well.

I still need/want a few pieces, many actually, but a few for sure.

edit to add this:: perhaps more important to the make is perhaps what it is made from. I hope someday to source some quartz glassware.

[Edited on 5/12/2020 by morganbw]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 15:31

Well if you are asking what is good, quality glassware, I think all the big names are good but you really pay a premium. I've found that Chemglass is really nice for the $. It's more expensive than generic Chinese stuff but seems much less expensive than things like Kimax, Pyrex, Shott Duran, etc.
I see a lot of nice used Chemglass stuff for really good prices and a lot of it is stuff that is hard to find in the "big" names.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 04:42

I think there are 4 components of "best":
- chemical inertness / resistance - it is important for analytical work but depends on to WHAT it should be resistant; there is a theoretical difference between different species of borosilicate glass family - but I have no experience/results of measurement for this;
- mechanical resistance - the thicker glass is better; Flasks with ground join survive better than beakers not depending on brand - I have much more broken beakers than flasks; the last broken flask was broken in the neck by clamping it too tight;
- thermal shock resistance - I didn't notice the difference between main brands I use (Duran & Simax) in the range up to 250C. This type of damage I experience 10th time less than mechanical breakage and 100th time less than spoiling a new glassware by accumulation of dirt I still unable/have no enough time/greedy for chemicals to wash
- accurate volume marking; It is not supposed to be accurate as on measuring cylinders but in some brands it is much more accurate than on others and this is the reason why I would prefer e.g. Duran family (Lenz, Witeg) to Simax.

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by teodor]

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by teodor]
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 06:21
Bomex

This is the only brand of glass I ever had trouble
with. A 1 litre beaker broke with a light tap when
I'd boiled down a compound. This was after the
beaker had cooled down and I was trying to get
the compound out without too much scraping.
In contrast I got a set of heavy-walled beakers
from Canada that were almost bullet-proof. They
are made of Kimax. One of them fell out of my
hand and bounced off the floor with not even a
scratch.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Jacob
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 13:05

Schott Duran of course, if you could get the real deal.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 13:22

I switched from expensive czech/german glassware to cheap chinese stuff like two years ago.
I even switched my usual NS 29/32 to 24/40, simply because of the price.
Can't say it wasn't worth it, of course stuff breaks occasionally, but so does the other stuff.
Just go for what is cheap enough and see if its quality is adequate, if yes, buy some more to replace what gets broken.
Now I pay just a fourth of what I paid for glass earlier.
It is wonderful and much better this way.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 14:01

Most of my glassware is Synthware. Love it.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 17:36

Don't know about Boeco, but Kimble Kimax is very good (Perfect brand, an old US label was the same stuff packaged for hobbyists, I think).
Bomex was once good glass, but they were sold to somebody else and have sucked for some time now (years, decades?).
Seriously, I've seen a lot of that stuff and read lots of reviews on Amazon and the defect rate is very high.
Bubbles, uneven bottoms, graduated cylinders that aren't even up to spec for accuracy...

Laboy is the best Chinese glass I've seen, but Synthware is about the same (I've seen less of that)
They're both well-made and well finished. Good joints too.

Nanshin is a step down from Laboy in fit and finish, but lots of our members use it and it gives good service apparently.

If you need an organic kit, Nanshin has very good deals for new glassware and a lot of different kits to choose from.

Haven't checked lately, but Nanshin kits used to be about 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of a similar Laboy kit.

Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 06:59

Im pretty sure the cheap china lab glassware has become so good now that for hobby use its no difference except the china stuff is a lot cheaper.
But if you use the glassware for more advanced stuff like high vacuum work or something that pushes the glass close to the limits, then one of the top quality brands is more or less required.
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

[*] posted on 29-5-2020 at 16:43

Best glassware I had is ''Pyrex'' you can heat it up with torch until it starting to melt, and it doesn't brake.
Cheap Chinese glassware brakes on a hotplate with out fuse at the melting point of lead...
Dragonsired1
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2020 at 10:52

Czech Simax is a very good brand of glassware. Never had any problems and it can withstand a lot of abuse. But I think it boils down to how much are you willing to spend on it. Also I would try to search what's available around you. I'm from Czechia so for me Simax is good choice both for quality and price as beakers are around 50 - 80 CZK around 2-3 EUR.
Buying from ebay like Boro 3.3 beakers, glass rods, stoppers is a good option. BUT for vacuum stuff and analytical like pipette and burette I would definitely buy more expensive branded products as they tend to be more precise.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top