Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury mitigation
QuicksilverHg
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 16:24
Mercury mitigation

I recently acquired two small mercury thermometers, they are so responsive I should like to utilize the full sized lab variety if the opportunity arose. The purpose of this post is to query whether I might use sulfur power or zinc in the event of breakage. A recent post in this board on spilled mercury in a middle school made me question the efficacy of zinc powder...plus, I have finely divided sulfur in large quantity.
If anyone has experience with the sulfur method I would appreciate your insight.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 21:35

both Zn powder and S are good, but Zn is better

If there is a heaven, it seems not to be materially based. Does chemistry exist there and if yes, how does it look like? Are there good souls well supplied with laboratory equipment, glass, chemicals and information?
QuicksilverHg
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 11:47

Thanks Fery, after watching this video: https://youtu.be/Ct2NwIp26d4 I am not satisfied with the action of sulfur on binding with mercury. I am curious if copper solder wick would be effective, I have heard of copper amalgams and should think non-oxidized copper would prove effective.
fusso
International Hazard

Mood:

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 19:43

Quote: Originally posted by QuicksilverHg  
Thanks Fery, after watching this video: https://youtu.be/Ct2NwIp26d4 I am not satisfied with the action of sulfur on binding with mercury. I am curious if copper solder wick would be effective, I have heard of copper amalgams and should think non-oxidized copper would prove effective.
He used the same spoon to scoop the Hg and S and not putting them in a proper container, facepalm and SMH
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 06:33

How about a syringe ?

I spent a lot of time as a kid tracking Hg blobs in my carpet. It was fun.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top