Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical uses for 3-MMC
Tellurium
Hazard to Self

Mood: smelly

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 05:39
Chemical uses for 3-MMC

Hey,
I ordered 15g of Ethylamine HCl from eBay, but instead they somehow send me 15g of 3-Methylmethcathinone HCl(which is even illegal, where I live). It had a datasheet attached and I also confirmed it's identity using Mecke Reagent.
I know that it's probably worth way more than the Ethylamine, but I don't want to sell that stuff, because I don't want to end up in prison or so and I don't consume anything other than weed and caffeine.

I wanted to dispose of it, but I thought, that maybe it would have any chemical uses, something you could make from this as starting material. But I can't think of anything special right now, does somebody here maybe have an idea on what you could do with that stuff?
Otherwise it will find it's way in the trash can:D

Thanks in advance!

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 05:49

Wow what an unusual error:o
Why not keep it? Noone would know

[Edited on 200513 by fusso]
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 05:50

Hilarious, I always wonder, is it legal for big companies to sell drugs as chemicals or to produce them. But if you're not gonna consume it, I don't see any other use for it than to play with some drug testing reagents for example marquis etc. or just to send it to me :D
Tellurium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 06:00

Yeah it wasn't send to my by a company, but by a private person. Maybe he was intoxicated when packing the order and mixed something up:D
The only chemical thing I could think of would be to reduce the Benzylic keto group, but that wouldn't make it more legal and I guess that would be stuff I'm even more unlikely to consume:o
I'm not into uppers, just psychedelics. But as that stuff is supposed to be like MDMA but way stronger and even MDMA is neurotoxic I really doubt that stuff to be very healthy:P

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 08:49

Legalize it!
I mean, reduce the carbonyl to carbinol, I doubt that 3-methylephedrine is illegal anywhere.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 09:23

And then reduce it once again ;)
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 09:26

That is a bit of a concerning mixup!
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 21:37

I can't believe someone would make that fuk up.real bad mistake.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 23:04

Such a mistake can even put innocent person to jail.

The only good thing is correct label
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 23:06

Quote: Originally posted by mackolol  
Hilarious, I always wonder, is it legal for big companies to sell drugs as chemicals or to produce them.

To answer: yes. They're all chemicals, and it's just a legal term for a designated group of them. Basically anything that has of value for generating income, is a commodity, and established chemical companies offer everything. I've always noted to people that stuff like meth are just like any other industrial chemical and if there was (and there is, at least in North Korea) a factory that mass producet it, the price per kg would be just like any other fine chemical. I'd presume they would sell it for few hundred bucks a kg at most, as reagent grade.

I could see an alternative world where there was another superpower (why not in the future) that gives a f about international regulations because they have their own established economic community and legalizes many stuff just in order to make profit. China is not actually that far from this. Rest of the world? Well, you see how well controls work already.

For the topic: that is a quite big error for the sender. If I would receive something like that, I would be as well questioning what i'm gonna do with it because I barely even drink.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  

I would be as well questioning what i'm gonna do with it because I barely even drink.

Given the speed at which I saw people getting undressed and throwing themselves at each other when using cathinones (Mephedrone specifically) I know what I'd do...
Dont know about that particular one though. I've lost interest years ago.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Tellurium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 07:04

Well I contacted the seller(a computer repair shop, that just has computer parts and had the one listing for Ethylamine HCl). It seemed, like he had no clue, what that was. He told me, that he ordered chemicals to etch PCB's a few years ago(which would fit, as it also had the old pictograms on it) and they somehow send the stuff too. According to the MSDS that they also send he somehow saw, that it is Ethylamine(But I wonder how, as the MSDS doesn't even mention Ethylamine even a single time.

He really seemed clueless and also told me, that he doesn't have any clue about chemistry or what that chemical is used for. To be honest I'm not really sure if thats really the case or if he wanted to send this stuff to someone else and mixed the adresses up. Because how would you think that it's ethylamine, when ethylamine isn't even mentioned a single time on the Datasheet?:D

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Legalize it!
I mean, reduce the carbonyl to carbinol, I doubt that 3-methylephedrine is illegal anywhere.

Well that would probably be a nice idea! Also reduction should be quite easy using NaBH4, which I have a lot of - thanks for the suggestion!:)

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 09:36

It can be oxidized to isophthalic acid. Isophthalic acid is a part of the monomer for the flame-resistant polymer polybenzimidazole.

The other piece is 3,4,3',4'-tetraaminobiphenyl. Perhaps this could be prepared by the symmetric biaryl coupling of 2-nitro-4-chloroaniline which can be prepared from p-dichlorobenzene by nitration and rxn with ammonia. Surprisingly this is OTC and relatively simple, although aryl chlorides are difficult substrates for this biaryl coupling.

Not bad, I guess...

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Tellurium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2020 at 08:04

Thats also a nice idea! But I already have isophthalic acid on hand - but I didn't had the idea to make polybenzimidazole, I definately need to try that one out, thanks! :)

Go To Top