Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis for Hydrogen Peroxide?
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Yin over yang

wink.gif posted on 13-5-2020 at 13:27
Synthesis for Hydrogen Peroxide?

Based on an article I've read from MIT that was recently written about that is referenced below, I've come up with a potential idea for the synthesis of hydrogen peroxide. I know that there's a version of this idea out there, but the only article I've found written about it is paid access only.

http://news.mit.edu/2019/mit-process-could-make-hydrogen-per...

1. Oxygenate water with an air pump after collecting pure oxygen from electrolysis. Set this (container 2) off to the side.
2. Place carbon electrodes into distilled water (container 1) connected to a low voltage DC.
3. Perform electrolysis in a vacuum leading the hydrogen and oxygen over to container 2.

The oxygenated water, in theory, should be synthesized into hydrogen peroxide.

In the near future, I am to perform a couple of experiments. The first one will be with both gasesbeing led to the oxygenated water. The second one will be with just the oxygen being led to the oxygenated water, while the hydrogen is collected separately.

As this is my first post on science madness, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about my cheap effort to make some hydrogen peroxide.
FranzAnton
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 13:39

hm, sounds interesting :) The "key" seems to be the Mediator (red) Antrachinon is a solid with MP: 286 C (!) spec. weight 1,44g/cm³
Would really be interesting how they deal with that solid and wather it does not float volontary at the surface as the pic. suggests.

Have you an idea how to deal with?

OK, sorry it's not pure Antrachinone, it das 2 SO3Na groups on it.
https://www.cell.com/joule/pdf/S2542-4351(19)30479-9.pdf

So you need this salt: https://www.scbt.com/de/p/anthraquinone-2-7-disulfonic-acid-...

I hope there can be a cheaper source found :)

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by FranzAnton]

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by FranzAnton]
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sorry, it's my chimes~!

smile.gif posted on 13-5-2020 at 15:11

Just a note on accessing articles, which I'm sure is well known here, but perhaps OP doesn't know?

https://sci-hub.tw/

Type in any DOI (journal articles (and even some textbooks, etc) have a DOI, known as a digital object identifier).

And bingo, there is the article, in PDF form, all set to download.

For example, here is the article you mentioned you couldn't access above (attached and linked)

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.joule.2019.09.019

Works for 99% of everything except REALLY old stuff that doesn't even have a DOI.....

I have University library access privileges and I STILL use https://sci-hub.tw/ ..... its just easier.:)

Attachment: 10.1016@j.joule.2019.09.019 - Copy.pdf (2.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 335 times

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by Johnny Windchimes]

~Incredibly profound and/or wise quote goes here~
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 15:34

I've been meaning to try out the (old) anthraquinone process for a while. I have some 2-ethylanthraquinone, as well as plain old anthraquinone and anthraquinone-2-sulfonate.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 16:08

I'm really confused! Aside from Johnny Windchimes post (and I thank you for that; I needed the reminder), what do the other posts have to do with the OP?
FranzAnton
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2020 at 07:14

@CharlieA: Good question! Maybe it would be more related to the OP if one posts an alternative production method?

I got the feeling that it could not be too OT if I followed the link of the OP study it and point out some detail which the poster may consider...

But as we all know H2O2 from scratch at home in some amount and concentration is a bit of efford.

I build up a setup for concentratig a 30% solution to 85% for a self made "rocket" engine in the 1980ies where the 30% H2O2 was cheep available but failed due to big losses after evaporating it.
One finding was that if a total evaporating is necessary (in my case because I tried a selective condensing of the high concentrated stuff) all organic stabilizers have to be removed first. This was not possible for me at that time. The method of selective freezing it out was not so in my focus at that time...

But yes, have to take care to keep better on topic.
andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2020 at 13:35

Here is an alternative production method published this month:
"Green method could enable hospitals to produce hydrogen peroxide in house"

FranzAnton
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2020 at 14:46

Yep. electrochemistry combined with nano technologie at it's best :)

For me it is far out of reach to build this reactor in my homelab, but it's interesting where the development goes.

But the old school electrolysis og H2SO4 in the cold should be possible at home if anyone is willing to invest in Pt electrodes ;)
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2020 at 15:27

This really isn't organic chemistry, neither H2O or H2O2 are organic compounds and there is no organic synthesis performed.

[Edited on 15-5-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Moved
15-5-2020 at 21:01
Bromolone
Harmless

Mood: Aldehydic

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 07:52

Electrolysis of sulfuric acid or acidified sulfate solutions at high current density yields persulfate, which hydrolyses to give H2O2.

I haven't tried the method, tho.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03171065

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by Bromolone]

Good documentation is key to good chemistry and software alike.
Sprotz
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2020 at 09:16

Wouldn't the older method of making Barium peroxide or Sodium peroxide and dissolving it in water suffice for home manufacture of H2O2 ?

Go To Top