Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Advice on buying a GC/MS
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

Mood: just right

[*] posted on 20-5-2020 at 21:12

Im only looking at ads on ebay for ir spec that say working condition so i can get a refund via paypal if its damaged. The one i linked has ATIR accessory with it thats worth a fair bit by itself. Im thinking of getting that one im just going to wait another couple of weeks to see what else comes up for sale.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2020 at 09:30

IDK know what kind of chromotographi it is, I've seen it called an HPCL well as a GCMS, so I'm at a loss here. These units look to be in good shape and the price is VERY attractive, though I think it will take an 1180 miles drive to get there b/c shipping will be a PITA and just as expensive....

Would this unit be good for identifying compounds (purity and contaminants) as well as
doing water samples of what is in the water?

Thermo Finnigan LCQ Advantage Model: LCQ Advatage Mass Spectrometer Sysytem
Thermo Finnigan Trace DSQ, Model: Trace DSQ-Mass Spectrometer,
Thermo Finnigan Autosampler Surveyor, Model: Surveypr Autosampler

Thermo Finnigan LCQ Advantage Model: LCQ Advatage Mass Spectrometer Sysytem

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermo-Finnigan-LCQ-Advantage-Mass-...

https://www.labx.com/product/thermo-lcq

http://www.myco-analytical.com/product/thermo-finnigan-lcq-a...

Thermo Finnigan Trace DSQ: Trace DSQ-Mass Spectrometer

https://www.bostonind.com/thermo-finnigan-ltq-ion-trap-mass-...

https://www.ebay.com/i/183928826777?chn=ps&norover=1&...

Thermo Finnigan Autosampler Surveyor, Model: Surveypr Autosampler

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermo-Scientific-Finnigan-Surveyor...

https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/CMD/Specification...

[Edited on 5-21-2020 by RogueRose]
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 21-5-2020 at 15:19

Rogue rose: that is just a mass spec, no chromatograph there. So it will really only be useful for things that are already pure, and much less useful for mixtures.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 21-5-2020 at 21:57

Rogue, your question is really generic

Quote:

Would this unit be good for identifying compounds (purity and contaminants) as well as
doing water samples of what is in the water?

the first 2 instruments you posted are only mass spectrometers, the one from ebay even lacks the injection pump. the third is an autosampler, alone is useless and you don't need it anyway.

please describe exactly what do you need an HPLC/MS for.
identifying purity and contaminants is too broad, are you looking for molecules big as proteins or polymers? or are you looking for metal ions? Mass spectrometers are not magic genie, they have limits, most of them won't show you metal ions, while a GC with an atomic emission detector easily can.

most of the sales on ebay don't have the software with the instrument, i know that there are some custom softwares that can interface with the instrument, but not all of them are capable of this, and without the 10k software license, you would have an expensive and bulky paper weight.

i know you are tempted to buy a shiny big instrument, but seriously, study before buying anything, you need knowledge of the entire process to see what (or if it) fits what you want to do.
there isn't only one kind of mass spectrometer each one can have different types of ion source/analyzer/detector, and the combination of these decides what you can do with it.

you could spend 1Mil for an FTICR, but if you use it to test lead in water you won't see much, is it bad? no it's just made to see high mass molecules.
i would gladly give you the material i used to study at university, but it is a mix of italian and english, to begin you can just dive on wikipedia and read everything you can about mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography and gas chromatography, only later you can decide. we are here to help but right now it is like you are asking us what's the best car to go to nord of the US and you are showing us a sports car, a lada and a trailer without an engine

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2020 at 23:38

ive spoken to the seller and this is said to be completely working in good condition. I know how to use and read IR spec from classes at university. All im wanting is someones opinion on if its worth that price and am i likely to have any problems or things that will be worn out. i have the software already for this also. my main use will be identifying end products from organic synthesis making sure i got what i was intending to synthesize.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMO-NICOLET-IR300-SPECTROMETER-W...

[Edited on 22-5-2020 by nleslie321]
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 11:34

In the country where i live, when a company has gone bankrupt they have these auctions with all kinds of gear and machines from the fallen company that is offered to highest bidder.
In these auctions there sometimes is lab gear and advanced lab machines up for sale.
Thats a good place to look if you have similar auctions where you live.
Sometimes very advanced gear is sold for fractions what they are actually worth.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  
In the country where i live, when a company has gone bankrupt they have these auctions with all kinds of gear and machines from the fallen company that is offered to highest bidder.
In these auctions there sometimes is lab gear and advanced lab machines up for sale.
Thats a good place to look if you have similar auctions where you live.
Sometimes very advanced gear is sold for fractions what they are actually worth.

i tried to look its specs but i could only find that the latest opereting system it supports is windows XP and that it can analyse solids and liquids. do you have some specs of this instrument?

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
beerwiz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-5-2020 at 00:29

Get an FTIR with ATR. Most models come with software that can do a compound search, meaning it can identify multiple compounds in a sample provided that you also buy the database.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 19:43

I bought the model i posted a link to above, all up with shipping and tax $3000 Australian. I have the Omnic software already so now just waiting until it gets here.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top