Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Most toxic compound OTC?
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2021 at 14:24

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
The major effect of bean toxicity is prominent flatulence. Recovery occurs within four or five hours of onset, usually without the need for any medical intervention.

Some species of legumes have a glutamate analog that can kill if ingested regularly. The resulting disease is called Lathyrism which is caused by Oxalyldiaminopropionic acid (ODAP) and entails slow nervous system degeneration. Talk about a real bummer
ChemTalk
Hazard to Self

Mood: colloidal

[*] posted on 16-5-2021 at 21:13

Yeah, we were about to say, the most common rust remover in the USA (whinks) is 2% HF, not 10%

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  
10% hydrofluoric acid is sometimes sold as rust remover, so if one would spill some on the skin could die quite easily. I also noticed that those gold test bottles contain potassium dichromate (and chromium trioxide)!

1%, not 10%

The major effect of bean toxicity is prominent flatulence. Recovery occurs within four or five hours of onset, usually without the need for any medical intervention.

Maybe if you only buy canned beans. Raw beans are in fact very toxic as the previous poster said, due to phytohaemagglutinins. Beans must be boiled (not merely heated) for at least ten minutes in order to be safe to consume, although, for taste reasons, most people would cook them longer.

[Edited on 16-5-2021 by clearly_not_atara]
BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 17-5-2021 at 04:12

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  
10% hydrofluoric acid is sometimes sold as rust remover, so if one would spill some on the skin could die quite easily. I also noticed that those gold test bottles contain potassium dichromate (and chromium trioxide)!

1%, not 10%

[Edited on 16-5-2021 by clearly_not_atara]

In the US it is 1%, but here in Europe i can find it as a 10% solution! It's cheap too, at the local grocery it costs 0,90€ for 50 ml. (https://www.amazon.it/Rapida-RAPIDA-TOGLIRUGGINE-50ML/dp/B00...) I find quite ironic that they ban much less dangerous stuff while this lethal acid is sold very easily.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2021 at 06:28

Methanol is indeed an insidious poison. It cannot be distinguished from ethanol by any practical means, but it has orders of magnitude higher lethality. If ethanol beverage is contaminated with sufficient amount, the result will be fatal because a lot of ethanol is required to displace it in metabolism.

"Fun" fact: there has been zero recorded methanol poisonings from home-distilled liquors ever. It has always been adulterated with added methanol, either unknowingly or accidentally. Tired of noting people on this myth when they always jump on their back feet when talking about home distilling. Not an actual form of chemophobia, but some false myths die hard.

I think blowtorching a copper wire to red hot and then dunking it in
will tell if methanol is present as formaldehyde will form.apparently
a sniff test will tell
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2021 at 10:35

howz about lead, copper, brass and lead styphnate? sold as an all in one kit by blazer, winchester, federal etc. and can be applied with easily obtainable dosing device using a simple point and click interface? the amounts required for toxicity are extremely variable...almost to the point of random and as such, a modicum of care and attention should be used handling these otc materials.

some of my personal favorites.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 19-5-2021 at 12:16

Why even discard the forerun then?
Is it sort of a urban myth, that self-burned liquor will give you methanol poisoning?
Because apparently it is impossible to get methanol poisoning from that, there is just too much methanol-antidote in it.
Its a big talking point against moonshining though... guess thats why they keep that one up.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2021 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
howz about lead, copper, brass and lead styphnate? sold as an all in one kit by blazer, winchester, federal etc. and can be applied with easily obtainable dosing device using a simple point and click interface? the amounts required for toxicity are extremely variable...almost to the point of random and as such, a modicum of care and attention should be used handling these otc materials.

some of my personal favorites.

Already mentioned above by panache. Yes lead is toxic at 367m/s.
I think it's a good one.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2021 at 02:08

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
I think blowtorching a copper wire to red hot and then dunking it in
will tell if methanol is present as formaldehyde will form.apparently
a sniff test will tell

This might work, but I wouldn't bet my life or eyesight on it. You only need few % of methanol to cause danger, and amounts of formaldehyde produced could be too small - alongside with acetaldehyde and other decomposition products - to smell. Flame color tests are also absolute bunk. Only remotely useful way to quickly determine alcohol proof from dilute to concentrated is to shake the bottle, alcohol tends to "foam" distinctively compared to water, but it clarifies very quickly.

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Why even discard the forerun then?
Is it sort of a urban myth, that self-burned liquor will give you methanol poisoning?
Because apparently it is impossible to get methanol poisoning from that, there is just too much methanol-antidote in it.
Its a big talking point against moonshining though... guess thats why they keep that one up.

Because of the taste.

Germans got a drink called Schnapps that contains all of it, and to some it tastes fruity, to some just burning strong varnish-like.

For moonshiners and vodka, foreshots, heads, hearts and tails are collected in about 5/30/50/15 ratio, if even more neutral profile is desired, hearts cut will be less than 50%. Cuts are collected in small fractions, for example in 20-30 different containers for the whole run, for 2dL glasses it equals to 3-5 liters of collect. This separation is usually done through classical bioassay - smell and taste test.

I still stand behind my saying: present one case that moonshine has blinded/killed anyone through methanol poisoning through batch that has got only yeast-brewed alcohols in it. 100% of cases contained adulterated products, usually by accident, sometimes intentionally or through absolute stupidity. Cases where car radiators have been used as condensers, containing methanol or glycols have been documented.

In Europe there were a case where an IBC container labelled "methanol" was found as the culprit of a mass poisoning of criminal alcohol supply chain, because someone thought that little "m" in front of ethanol couldn't make that big of a difference. I think it's an analogue to some amateur chemists regarding isomers of compounds (L? D? who gives an aRse(pun intended)), or Xylenes, which has para,ortho,meta-isomers, for most, it's just plain Xylene. In some cases it doesn't matter for the intended use, in some cases it's a choice between happiness and death. (Read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enantiopure_drug#Examples)

This argument is still one of the first to pop up when home distilling surfaces anywhere, and as all of the other urban legends, this one is full bunk too.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 21-5-2021 at 04:53

"canned air"
difluoroethane is commonly used
at my job we have had a few people hospitalized after warmwater pipes turned our whole factory into a gas explosion and people went in right after the explosion
turns out, the insulating foam is made using a blowing agent containing some carbonfluorine compound
and that fluorine ion persists after it burns, difluoroethane for instance turns into hydrogen fluoride

carbon fluoro chemicals is my take, very dangerous and you can pull them out of refridgerators or maybe sneak some out of your mechanic, they tend to have it standing around for refilling aircondition units

oh and as a fellow chemist i knew from long back found out- ethylene glycol, you just get intoxicated like alcohol, it tastes sweet and it turns into carbon monoxide (iirc) so you pass out and never wake up again
im sure EG has been used to kill people mixed up with alcohol, imagine how many people dont notice their drink suddenly being disgustingly salty? how would anyone live to tell about a minor taste difference from ethylene glycol

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2021 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
"canned air"
difluoroethane is commonly used
at my job we have had a few people hospitalized after warmwater pipes turned our whole factory into a gas explosion and people went in right after the explosion
turns out, the insulating foam is made using a blowing agent containing some carbonfluorine compound
and that fluorine ion persists after it burns, difluoroethane for instance turns into hydrogen fluoride

carbon fluoro chemicals is my take, very dangerous and you can pull them out of refridgerators or maybe sneak some out of your mechanic, they tend to have it standing around for refilling aircondition units

oh and as a fellow chemist i knew from long back found out- ethylene glycol, you just get intoxicated like alcohol, it tastes sweet and it turns into carbon monoxide (iirc) so you pass out and never wake up again
im sure EG has been used to kill people mixed up with alcohol, imagine how many people dont notice their drink suddenly being disgustingly salty? how would anyone live to tell about a minor taste difference from ethylene glycol

Ethylene glycol turns into oxalic acid in the body
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2022 at 08:57

The ricinus beans I got from my 2020 plant are doing quite well! I only planted them in April. I had the beans in the fridge since harvesting them and I expected only a few to germinate last April, but at least 80-90% did. I planted 7 of them in my garden (I have a garden now) and kept the 4 biggest. Two of them grew large enough to keep sunlight from the other two, keeping them small. Only five months after germination they are 2.8 meters tall and producing beans as we speak.

I will keep some of the beans and germinate in February next year. I wonder how big I can get them. They seem to have reached ground water early on, as I never had to water them while the summer has been very dry.

photo.jpg - 3.2MB

Lets see when the bananas next to them grow larger.... I've got sikkimensis growing, hopefully they survive winter.

[Edited on 1-9-2022 by Tsjerk]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top