Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Most toxic compound OTC?
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2020 at 13:37

And yet, lead chromate is 3 orders of magnitude less soluble than Barium Sulfate which is also hypothetically toxic but is used as medical contrast without ill effects. I'm sure prolonged exposure or consumption would lead to non-trivial absorption of lead and chromate, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list.
SWIM
International Hazard

Mood: fractious

[*] posted on 20-6-2020 at 16:34

The idea that you can refine an OTC to get the poison makes it awfully easy.

Can you buy pitchblende?

Then buy a whole lot and make like Marie Curie (But try not to poison yourself)

I think this question might be meant more as what's the most toxic OTC material, not what is the most toxic ingredient in an OTC.

Next time I'm downtown I'll ask around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyUeCyXl1Q

Ebay says they need to get their hands on my bank account if I want to keep selling there.
This sounds like the best idea since putting ortho tricresyl phosphate in Ginger Jake.
I'm walking while I can still walk straight.

G-Coupled
National Hazard

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 20-6-2020 at 21:39

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
nicotine (much more potent than cyanide)

I don't think that's actually true, you know. Apparently, it has quite recently been shown that Nicotine is a lot less toxic than it was believed for a long time to be.

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
...fentanyl would be obvious candidate, notorious for having been mixed with xanax...

Although it has been found occasionally in counterfeit benzo pills, Fentanyl is far more commonly seen as a cut in Heroin, or even as a total substitute.
mackolol
National Hazard

Mood: Psychedelic

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 11:12

Recently it came to my mind that most OTC and very toxic yet mutagenic and carcinogenic are toxins from black mold. It can be harvested and done almost in all conditions and is very effective.
njl
Hazard to Self

Mood: 20 miles into bat country

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 16:46

@mack that's fair but I'm not so sure about isolating any one compound from molds.
karlos┬│
International Hazard

Mood: verr├╝ckt & wissenschaftlich

[*] posted on 21-6-2020 at 17:23

Well, I isolate some stuff from a partially molded substance, trying to avoid these components.
And I had it sent in for an elaborate testing, and the final hash oil was absolutely free from these contaminants.
Though we didn't know if the mold really was a certain aflatoxing producing one of course.
But we knew for certain that the produced extract was free from these compounds.

Guess it should be as easy as trying to extract these toxins, if the fungus is the right one.

But mycotoxins!
That brings me to an idea...
I don't know how often I though while picking mushrooms that I see a primo example of a "button mushroom"(you call them that in english?), with which I mean an Agaricus species, the plain ones from the super market of course.
And then I saw the bulbous base and that the velum, smell, etc... the latter is so typical...

But anyways!
What I want to say is, that they must be one of the most OTC poisons.
The death caps.
I read, that many victims of them said, even on their deathbed, that the fungal meal tasted great... how horrible!
Your eyes already deeply yellow from liver failure, and the only reminiscence of your deathly failure is a great taste!

Now with that in mind, I wonder how the hemlock mug of Sokrates tasted?
Was it likewise good, or horribly bitter, or what?
I guess he could've told, did no research on that...
And honestly, I don't care.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top