Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anti bike theft agent
mackolol
National Hazard

Mood: Psychedelic

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 04:24

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  
tert-Butyl Isocyanide it is, then.

If there is something that causes emergency evacuation of public places due to incapacitating odor, this thing comes handy.

It doesn't matter if the thief gets away, they will kick them out of every town.

I don't know what amphetamine smells like? Is it easily detectable, strong odor? Does pure/purified and dried amphetamine smell as well?

[Edited on 11-6-2020 by Refinery]

It sometimes smells like dead mouse or just dead body. For some this odor is intolerable.

Do you know how to prepare alkyl isocyanides? Does it go like alkyl halide + alkali isocyanide?

[Edited on 13-6-2020 by mackolol]
Refinery
National Hazard

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 05:23

I see. I've heard that it smells "fishy". One of my friend hangs out with junkies so I suppose I should ask if "I could have a smell, just out of curiosity" someday. :D

http://orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV6P0232

The synthesis appears quite trivial by quick look and does not require any troublesome reagents.

Other thing to consider, though, is that TBIC is widely referred as the mother of all reeks and when I read some articles about it, merely being around those higly reeking chemicals is enough to imbue that odor to yourself.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/05/07/th...

There was a written note that a scientist worked with isocyanides, left work and showered and changed his own clothes at the workplace and at later night went to theater and got kicked out because "bystanders couldn't stand the reek". This made me think that synthesizing isocyanides is absolutely out of question at your home or anywhere near where you want to retain any resale value on a real estate market. A reasonable way would be to make it in glovebox fumehood in a temporary location with high chimney, seal the product in metal or glass ampules and then decontaminate everything with HCL, methanol and ozone.

Spraying a good amount of TBIC on a bike thief would certainly make his life miserable for a while.

[Edited on 13-6-2020 by Refinery]
mackolol
National Hazard

Mood: Psychedelic

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 06:57

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  
I see. I've heard that it smells "fishy". One of my friend hangs out with junkies so I suppose I should ask if "I could have a smell, just out of curiosity" someday. :D

http://orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV6P0232

The synthesis appears quite trivial by quick look and does not require any troublesome reagents.

Other thing to consider, though, is that TBIC is widely referred as the mother of all reeks and when I read some articles about it, merely being around those higly reeking chemicals is enough to imbue that odor to yourself.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/05/07/th...

There was a written note that a scientist worked with isocyanides, left work and showered and changed his own clothes at the workplace and at later night went to theater and got kicked out because "bystanders couldn't stand the reek". This made me think that synthesizing isocyanides is absolutely out of question at your home or anywhere near where you want to retain any resale value on a real estate market. A reasonable way would be to make it in glovebox fumehood in a temporary location with high chimney, seal the product in metal or glass ampules and then decontaminate everything with HCL, methanol and ozone.

Spraying a good amount of TBIC on a bike thief would certainly make his life miserable for a while.

[Edited on 13-6-2020 by Refinery]

As I read the article n butyl isocyanide is the most powerful one. And due to wikipedia it is very dangerous causing similar damage as CO. I don't imagine working with it at all, but what interests me is how stinky is it in comparison with thioacetone.
Chemetix
National Hazard

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 20:05

Ahh the old Hoffman Carbylamine test. Stinky for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbylamine_reaction

you only need tiny amount, despite the toxicity no one will end up exposed to it long enough to be dangerous. My concern is that 1950's bad smell pranks would these days be considered a potential chemical weapon.
Antiswat
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 21:08

make it thick steel and load it up with a heat sensitive explosive. cheers. good luck with having this thing legally hit the market though, as a bonus you should be able to hear when someone tries to take your bike unless maybe its a van of burglarians just picking the bike off the ground and driving back south with it

iodoacetone would also be interesting, odorless teargas, its too easy to make.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 2-7-2020 at 08:40

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by BaFuxa]

Potential counts for nothing until realized.
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 23:26

Sorry to revive this, I have a genuine issue here :P

I installed a combi lock (see pic) for my mailbox located a certain distance from my place.
It seems that someone has been playing with the lock frequently, probably trying different combi to unlock it.
So I am thinking of maybe putting something on the lock to deter the fellow.

I have in mind silver nitrate, but I dun have it now and it's a bit too expensive to buy.
Any other suggestion?

I dun want to hurt or poison the guy, it could just be a naughty child!
It should also be relatively stable on the lock, though I can reapply it once every few days.
It should not destroy/damage the lock!
I can wear a glove to unlock when I need to retrieve my letters, no problem with that.

Cheers! :D

lock.jpg - 20kB
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 02:45

There was a thread about these very strong coloring agents. Might apply some to the wheels, and when someone touches it, it gets to his fingers and everywhere. Shouldn't be toxic as it's used for food.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 23:33

1 drop of valeric acid in contact with thief skin e.g. (palms) and the thief will stink of vomit for few days, it cannot be washed out of skin. Plus 1 microcrystal of denatonium benzoate (Bitrex) at a surface which the thief must grab so the thief won't be able to eat with his bare hands for couple of days. Coloring agent? Crystal violet (Gentian violet) colors like a hell - it is used in medicine (oral candidiasis) or Brilliant green (eczema, local mycotic infections), Fuchsine = Solutio Castellani (pityriasis).

If there is a heaven, it seems not to be materially based. Does chemistry exist there and if yes, how does it look like? Are there good souls well supplied with laboratory equipment, glass, chemicals and information?
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 01:18

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
There was a thread about these very strong coloring agents. Might apply some to the wheels, and when someone touches it, it gets to his fingers and everywhere. Shouldn't be toxic as it's used for food.

Thanks Fyndium!

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
1 drop of valeric acid in contact with thief skin e.g. (palms) and the thief will stink of vomit for few days, it cannot be washed out of skin. Plus 1 microcrystal of denatonium benzoate (Bitrex) at a surface which the thief must grab so the thief won't be able to eat with his bare hands for couple of days. Coloring agent? Crystal violet (Gentian violet) colors like a hell - it is used in medicine (oral candidiasis) or Brilliant green (eczema, local mycotic infections), Fuchsine = Solutio Castellani (pityriasis).

But if I coat my lock with valeric acid, wouldn't it stink even before the thief lays his hands on it?

Bitrex sounds very very interesting :D
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 06:27

yeah, Bitrex = very delayed and long lasting punishment of the thief
10 g for less than 10 US$ which is enough for the whole life, just be careful with handling it

from UA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Grams-Denatonium-Benzoate-Most-B...

from CN
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-grams-Denatonium-Benzoate-Most-B...

If there is a heaven, it seems not to be materially based. Does chemistry exist there and if yes, how does it look like? Are there good souls well supplied with laboratory equipment, glass, chemicals and information?
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 06:30

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
yeah, Bitrex = very delayed and long lasting punishment of the thief
10 g for less than 10 US$ which is enough for the whole life, just be careful with handling it

from UA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Grams-Denatonium-Benzoate-Most-B...

from CN
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-grams-Denatonium-Benzoate-Most-B...

Yes I saw both of these. Thanks!
I'm just a bit worried for myself :D I once had bitter mouth for a couple of weeks from eating pine nuts!
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 09:11

File a patent for U lock that has core made of pressurized tube which contains a solution of denatonium benzoate, valeric acid or a substance of low toxicity but high and persisting odor and a persistent coloring agent.

Cut it, and you make an aerosol cloud of immensely disgusting smelling stuff that makes you unable to enter any space where people habit and taints you whole in bright color and you can taste it a week after. Harmless to user as it's hermetically sealed in a steel tube.

Smearing any onto a lock is mainly harmful to the user.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top