Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Just bought an FTIR Spectrometer
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

Mood: just right

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 19:48
Just bought an FTIR Spectrometer

So I just bought this Nicolet IR300 with ATR. I have the omnic software already and im just waiting on it to get delivered to me. I will update once i get it.

FTIR.jpg - 144kB
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 03:17
well that's ace

they are pretty useful, ive always found it peculiar though that you can't rely on it as backup for your television ir remote.

I have a doggedness in watching for a bargain and ftir's rarely seem to come up. I wonder if its hardware based, having some essential expensive component that just has a finite life or if its just that people like to keep using the one they are used to.
Now seriously some advice, if you find it disappointing in any way just give it to me, don't settle for one you kind of like, find your ftir soul mate:cool::cool:
Bmoore55
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 07:33

It looks like it is well taken care of and that is a good brand of ATR so that is promising. Once you get it I would look at the windows on either side of the sampling compartment to see if they are fogged up. If there is no fog in the windows then that is a good sign the instrument was stored properly. In the meantime it would be beneficial for you to try and dig up any user manuals you can find on this specific instrument online. Try to figure out if it communicates with a PC via ethernet or by some other means. If it uses ethernet then check to see if it uses a static IP address. Good luck!
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 04:44

it uses serial cable can i use a usb to serial does anyone know?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 05:25

you may have to find a few different adapters but once you find the right one should be good. I've come across this issue befor.

2 adapters both had the same specs but only one worked!
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 23:10

ok great thanks. i actually seen 2 other ATR units same as my FTIR comes with for sale on ebay one for $3000 another for $16000. Would anyone actually pay $16000 australian for a used one? since i got my FTIR with ATR for $3000 i was quite happy with that price after seeing the just the ATR for $3000.
Bmoore55
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-6-2020 at 20:24

I don’t think you should pay $16000 for a used ATR that seems crazy. Can you provide links?
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 14:03

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
you may have to find a few different adapters but once you find the right one should be good. I've come across this issue befor.

2 adapters both had the same specs but only one worked!

Yeah, USB-to-serial adaptors seem to be flaky, but they are cheap, so if you have to try a few to find one that actually works it is not so bad.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 23:32

The one for $16000 is gone now haha the seller must of realised what a crazy price it was. I thought maybe to buy a more expensive usb to serial in hopes its better than the cheap ones. What do you guys think? BTW my FTIR is still making its way across the USA so hopefully it leaves the USA soon on its way to Australia.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 06:16

The USB-to-serial that worked ok for me was an IOGear GUC 232A, fwiw.
None of them are perfect, I think it is very difficult to get the electrical signals just the same as with a real physical serial port. I would avoid trying to get the cheapest possible one, sure, but still be prepared to question it.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 08:48

I found the ad for $16000
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Golden-Gate-Diamond-ATR-Spectrom...
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by nleslie321  
I found the ad for $16000
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Golden-Gate-Diamond-ATR-Spectrom...

the guy sells vases, necklaces, and high current fuses, probably has no idea of the value of that instrument, or someone sold it to him for wayyy more than it's worth

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-6-2020 at 21:22

So my IR Spec just arrived at the depot so im going to collect it now will update with pictures etc when i get home.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-6-2020 at 05:33

Ive got it finally just finished cleaning it inside and out to remove dust. Cant get a serial to usb plug until the morning so i will test it tomorrow.

15935239516535454071317924621739.jpg - 1.4MB
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 13:40

I bought the same model and I think it is from the same seller, judging by the picture. I have been having a hard time finding the software for mine since it doesn't work with Omnic 9. Let me know if you make any progress on getting software to make yours work; I'll let you know if I find anything as well.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 21:15

Im working with the bloke from essential FTIR to get the ir300 working with his software. I also have contacted a heap of people to try get omnic 7 or 8 and have heard from a few people who said they should be able to get a copy. Ill continue working with essential ftir tonight to get that running with ir300.
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 22:15

Please let me know if you have any luck. I noticed if you use essential ftir and select the Mattson option it is able to sense that the device is connected but it doesn't recognize what type of device it is.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 23:31

I have a plugin off the owner that removes the check for machine model and lets you use eftir software. Im having a hardware issue now with the moving mirror. Is yours working hardware wise?
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-7-2020 at 11:17

I also have a copy of Omnic 8.3 now. I will try it tomorrow to see if it works with the IR300.
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 16:53

Is there any way I could get a copy of omnic 8.3 as well as the driver for eftir?
I haven't been able to test if any of the hardware is working other than visually observing the laser path. I do know that when I turn the machine on the laser appears as though it is slightly in the wrong position. When I received mine one of the ZnSe crystals on the ATR had fallen off and it was bouncing around in the machine, I popped it back into place but it had some scratches on it. It doesn't look like the laser is traveling through the ATR correctly on mine.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by Brunton]
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 21:16

yeah ill give you a copy of both whats your email? pm me and ill send dropbox address. You cant see the laser after it goes through the beam splitter if you look into the mirror towards the laser path you will see laser lol but dont burn your retina. you can use a sheet of paper to see it. Does your moving mirror move when you turn it on?

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by nleslie321]
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 09:18

I'll check today to see if the moving mirror is working. Is it supposed to adjust automatically?
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-7-2020 at 10:28

I played around with the ir300 a little. It seems like mine is having the same issue as yours where it is not calibrating properly. When I first turned it on the moving mirror didn't do anything. I took the clear cover off and physically pushed the moving mirror toward the back of the unit into the solenoid and it seems like it was stuck, now it moves freely. When I turn it on now the moving mirror slightly pulses but I am not sure if it is functioning correctly. I also noticed that the laser beam is hitting the beam splitter toward the top, it is also hitting the corner cubes toward the top as well. Isn't it supposed to be hitting the corner cube in the center of the cubes? Also, on Omnic, does yours come up with a .dll error when you turn it on? Mine says ".dll is newer than expected".
Brunton
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-7-2020 at 09:22

On the Omnic diagnostic section it has the laser symbol crossed out; I am guessing that it means the laser is bad.
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-9-2020 at 01:08

the bloke sold them as working but they are not working and not worth fixing sorry. Ive looked at it as i got a good ATR for 2k and ive spent 6500 US for a refurbed Nicolet Avatar that comes with a PC, software etc etc
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top