Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question help
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

sad.gif posted on 8-6-2020 at 02:00
Question help

Heyy. Does anyone have an idea what this ligand is called? Can it form any tetrahedral coordination compounds with Fe2+, Ni2+, Cr2+, Co2+, Mn2+ or Fe3+.
Any help and/or explanation would be of great help :)

img.png - 2kB
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 02:41

it's probably called Unstable:D
tha carbon with only a single bond and 3 negative charges on it, i don't think it could even exist in normal conditions

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 02:46

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
it's probably called Unstable:D
tha carbon with only a single bond and 3 negative charges on it, i don't think it could even exist in normal conditions

I thought the same thing. Perhaps if the carbon had 3 hydrogens attached. Would it result in a tetrahedral geometry then?
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Yin over yang

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 08:00

I haven't officially taken organic chemistry in college yet, but I've watched a ton of youtube videos hahaha

If the carbon was arranged in a tetrahedral geometry with the 3 hydrogens instead of a 3- charge and a covalent bond to the carbon. Then I would think that this would still be unstable, right? The nitrogen is still negative with a pi bond on it. Won't the molecule try to rearrange so that the carbon donates hydrogen to the nitrogen to rid the charge? The pi bonds would also rearrange I believe.

Basically I am saying that even if there were 3 hydrogens attached to the carbon instead of a 3- charge --> then a rearrangement will occur in order to reach stability.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 16:47

Whether the C has 3 hydrogens attached or 3 unshared pairs, it can still be sp3 hybridized and therefore has tetrahedral geometry. Of more interest to me because I guess I don't understand the structure, what is the configuration of electrons in the outer shell of the Nitrogen atom? To have a charge of negative 1, the N atom should have 6 electrons in its outer shell, but I count only 5 (maybe): 2 shared electrons + an unshared pair(?) + the -1 charge.
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 21:55

Crotyl imine tetra anion, the conjugate acid is a compound of the class of a,b-unsaturated imines. The dianion might exist, but I don't know if anything is known on it forming metal complexes.

[Edited on 10-6-2020 by Sigmatropic]

Go To Top