Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyrolysis Oil via Ozonide Decomposition?
lollerskatez
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 16:30
Pyrolysis Oil via Ozonide Decomposition?

Preface: I understand that playing around with ozone is extremely unwise.

With that out of the way, I ozonated some vegetable oil, then heated it to ~93C, and then a (somewhat violent) chain reaction occurred. The end products were a mixture of gases—which unfortunately I wasn't able to capture—and a viscous, tar-like, dark-amber/brown substance. The tar-like substance appears to resemble pine tar/tall oil, and is in fact miscible with pine tar. It's only partially soluble in denatured alcohol and acetone, but has better solubility in, strangely enough, gum turpentine (not to be confused with mineral spirits).

The substance does saponify, but it's saponfication value is incredibly low. So low, in fact, that given my experimental error, the value was 0. Acid value (using NaOH) is roughly 35.6. If my math is right, converting this to KOH Acid Value, it's 49.9. I had to use gum turpentine as a solvent, not sure if this would throw off the acid value (it's the only thing that would dissolve the tar best).

Now, the weird thing is that the explosive reaction (and resulting tar-like substance) does not occur if heat is applied during the vegetable oil ozonation. Instead, it produces a different type compound, one that I have absolutely no clue about. The only thing I can determine about it is that it's denser than propylene glycol but less dense than glycerol (additionally, some of the reaction products are possibly miscible with glycerol). It too is only partially soluble in denatured alcohol and acetone. I have yet to see if it's saponifiable, and if so, what its saponification value and acid value are.

From my (very) tenuous knowledge of organic chemistry and ozonolysis, ozonation of fatty acids/triglycerides essentially results in semi-stable ozonide (after going through Crigee intermediates). Based on what I've read in the literature and from seeing the reaction occur, it appears that thermally decomposing ozonides formed from the triglycerides generates organic peroxides. These organic peroxides then react with whatever was left over from the decomposed ozonides, producing a variety of gases and something resembling a pyrolysis oil. Again, I don't have a good knowledge of organic chemistry theory, so this is mostly speculation; I'm really out of my depth here.

I have yet to perform a fractional distillation of the compound, which I'm hoping to avoid (would need all the appropriate equipment for it). So far, I haven't been able to find a lab that can analyze the reaction product(s) to determine if it actually is a pyrolysis oil.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 01:56

well vegetable oil is not a defined mixture of oils. To be more specific with any determination you should start with only one kind of oil to begin with(oleic acid trigliceride for example)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 02:20

I would expect any double bound to be cleaved and oxidized to carboxylic acids. I expect the ester bonds to be preserved.

Please be careful, ozonides can be very explosive.
lollerskatez
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 10:26

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
well vegetable oil is not a defined mixture of oils. To be more specific with any determination you should start with only one kind of oil to begin with(oleic acid trigliceride for example)

Oh, yes, good point, one that I forgot to address. I've tested this on multiple different types of oils already (sunflower, canola, peanut, olive, and vegetable shortening), and the end reaction is still the same. There are differences in the reaction products directly after ozonation (e.g., the vegetable shortening & olive oil turned into a white, cream/paste-like ozonide mixture, while the canola turned into a viscous, pale yellow liquid/"sludge"), but this does not seem to affect the thermal decomposition reaction. It always ends with an exothermic, peroxide-like reaction that leaves behind a dark brown/amber, tar-like product.

Now, the specific make of the tar most likely differs (in fact, I'm sure it does; the saponification value of the sunflower oil tar was ~0.02) based on the vegetable used, but they're so similar otherwise that I aggregated them together.

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I would expect any double bound to be cleaved and oxidized to carboxylic acids. I expect the ester bonds to be preserved.

Well, that's the puzzle, since I'm not getting just carboxylic acids, but an explosive reaction that results in something else. According to one lab that was only able to partial analyze the aggregated tars before giving up, there were ketones, aldehydes, and heavy hydrocarbons—which I'm supposing are polymerized chains of carboxylic acids.

I know the results of ozonolysis of alkanes/alkenes/alkynes are supposed to give certain end procuts, but what I can't find much about is the ozonolysis of triglycerides: what happens to the glycerol molecule? The ozonated vegetable oil also appears to be supersaturated with ozone: when the residual ozone decomposes, would this generate atomic oxygen? Would this oxygen atom only attack double-bonds, or could it cleave single C–C and C–H bonds as well?

[Edited on 6/12/2020 by lollerskatez]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 15:54

Your ozonalide may be degrading to the epoxide or other similar compounds. Those would still be quite unstable. You also may generate some odd peroxyketals, peroxides, peresters, and who knows what else. if you quenches them with dimethylsulfide while cold, you would generate the aldehyde fragments (maybe some ketones, but side chains are rare in plant oils) which would be more stable. But that is why you normally either reduce or oxidize the ozonilide while cold, as otherwise they turn to crap. Symettrical olefins are easier to deal with, as they provide only one product, but polyunsat'd oil will provide a mixture of many things. Most (fuel type) pyrolosis is designed to be reductive, to saturate the double bonds and remove heterocyclic atoms in order to make a less complex and more burnable mixture.
lollerskatez
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Your ozonalide may be degrading to the epoxide or other similar compounds.

That's a definite possibility. During the lead up to the more violent reaction (I hesitate to call it "explosive"), it does appear that there's another reaction occurring first and producing a different compound. What I'm unsure about is whether the violent reaction occurs due to 1. two competing reactions, and after the more favorable reaction has run out of reactants the second reaction occurs or 2. one reaction occurs, which generates the reactant mass for the second reaction once enough has been produced.

I have video of it, actually, if anyone's interested. I can share a Google Drive link for it.

Most (fuel type) pyrolosis is designed to be reductive, to saturate the double bonds and remove heterocyclic atoms in order to make a less complex and more burnable mixture.

Is there any way to test for saturated double-bonds/presence of heterocyclic compounds? Whatever remains is highly resistant to oxidation and yet still a carboxylic acid. Any idea of what carboxylic acids are highly resistant to oxidation?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2020 at 17:15

bromine is used to test for double bonds in oils. Google it.

most carboxylic acids are very stable to further oxidation, they are already oxidized to a stable state. Short of burning them, they are stable to most things.
lollerskatez
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2020 at 13:08

bromine is used to test for double bonds in oils. Google it.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know about that. What about using potassium permagnate? Would it be worth it to find out the iodine value?

most carboxylic acids are very stable to further oxidation, they are already oxidized to a stable state.

Although I haven't confirmed this yet, I'm assuming the tar substance is highly resistant (possibly unaffected) by ozone. It's non-drying, staying "sticky" on surfaces much like pine tar does. Would it be possible that that carboxylic acids with different structures than fatty acid chains could form, e.g. terpenes?

Go To Top