Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware identification
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2020 at 07:03
Glassware identification

Can anyone tell me what this piece of glassware might be ?

It looks to be some sort of bespoke receiver connector assembly that can separate vapours and hold them until they condense although i'm not sure why it doesn't have a tap on the vac connector. Not branded (presumably Chinese) joint sizes are 24/29 it's roughly 300mm by 300mm.

Unidentified glassware 1.JPG - 1.5MB
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2020 at 08:42

It is a distillation receiver.

It lets you remove fractions from the receiver without interrupting distillation while under vacuum.

Vacuum is applied to the tube at the top right of the picture and the lower right tube vents to atmosphere.

By manipulating the valves you put a collection flask on the bottom, evacuate it, fill it with disitillate, isolate it from the vacuum and vent it to the atmosphere so it can be removed.

They have advantages over cows in some situations.

[Edited on 18-6-2020 by SWIM]

Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2020 at 09:49

Perkin triangle, I guess.
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2020 at 10:18

Thanks guys.

Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 08:41

Few more here and in the next few comments.

Some of them i can kinda see what they might do but would really like to know what they are actually called.

DSCN8530.JPG - 913kBDSCN8532.JPG - 1MBDSCN8533.JPG - 1.2MBDSCN8534.JPG - 845kBDSCN8535.JPG - 868kB
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 08:48

[Edited on 14-8-2020 by Steve s]

DSCN8545.JPG - 1.7MB DSCN8546.JPG - 1.7MB DSCN8549.JPG - 1.5MB

[Edited on 14-8-2020 by Steve s]
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 08:51

DSCN8537.JPG - 897kB DSCN8536.JPG - 1.6MB
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 08:58

This...

DSCN8539.JPG - 1.8MBDSCN8538.JPG - 1.6MBDSCN8540.JPG - 1.7MBDSCN8541.JPG - 1.7MB
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 11:43

Nice! First and third one are used to create aerosols. The piece of glassware is connected on top of a bottle and you push air through the inlet tube. The air comes through the other tube, which has also a small capillary in the center. As the air travelling around the capilllary exits the apparatus, it draw liquid through the capillary and said liquid is aerosolized by the air flow. The air flowrate has to be sufficient to draw the liquid up the capillary, otherwise the liquid rises but never makes it to the top.

It's a bit like a water aspirator but reversed: high speed air to pump water instead of high speed water to pump air.

The second photo I'm not completely sure, but possibly the same thing as the other two.

If you find a use for them, tell me! I've got a similar piece which I want to use but I don't know what for yet.

Btw, the previous post about the distillation receiver: In Germany (and possibly europe) it's also called an Anschütz-Thiele receiver (Vorstoß). I thought this information could be useful to someone if the stumble upon this thread.
Steve s
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2020 at 12:07

Quote: Originally posted by Heptylene  
Nice! First and third one are used to create aerosols. The piece of glassware is connected on top of a bottle and you push air through the inlet tube. The air comes through the other tube, which has also a small capillary in the center. As the air travelling around the capilllary exits the apparatus, it draw liquid through the capillary and said liquid is aerosolized by the air flow. The air flowrate has to be sufficient to draw the liquid up the capillary, otherwise the liquid rises but never makes it to the top.

It's a bit like a water aspirator but reversed: high speed air to pump water instead of high speed water to pump air.

The second photo I'm not completely sure, but possibly the same thing as the other two.

If you find a use for them, tell me! I've got a similar piece which I want to use but I don't know what for yet.

Btw, the previous post about the distillation receiver: In Germany (and possibly europe) it's also called an Anschütz-Thiele receiver (Vorstoß). I thought this information could be useful to someone if the stumble upon this thread.

Thanks.

The first set of pics is actually two differant items the first 2 appear to of just a tube with 2 QF cone joints back to back.

I have to say i'm struggling to think of anything to do with any of them :D

Go To Top