Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cation exchange media
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2011 at 19:33
Cation exchange media

Hello all,

Let me first say that I am sorry to post this question as a new topic after leaving it in the short questions thread. I don't mean to be a clutter bug but I am in the middle of somthing and would truly appreciate a responce.

I just have a few quick questions firstly, I have some cation exchange resin in the H+ form and i was wondering if anyone knows how I may determine the resins exchange potential per/cm3? The resin type is Amberlite IRN-77.

Secondly, would someone out ther is S.M land reccomend a good book that encompasses the theory and thus applications of the various exchange media?

Thurdly and lastly, when I am finished with the media should I regenerate it, dessicate and store or rather leave it spent dissicate and store? I realize that it is not the job of Sci. M. members to answer my questions and as such please know how truly appreciative I am for any help. thanks in advance

Shady..
SH
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 19-2-2011 at 20:00

It depends somewhat on what you're using the resin for. Are you trying to remove something from a solution to get rid of it? Or to collect it later? What type of ion are you looking to attract?

Here is a nice online FAQ:
http://www.amberlyst.com/faq_general.htm

Here is some good information:
http://www.remco.com/ix.htm

I'm pretty sure you want to keep ion exchange resin wet while it's being stored though. You should've looked up your resin though, the first link I got in a search told the total exchange capacity.

http://www.dow.com/products/product_detail.page?product=1120...
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 20-2-2011 at 06:09

In the past, we determined the H2SO4 equivalent (in sulfonated styrene-DVB resins, such as Amberlyst) by:

1. saturating the resin with acid to make sure as many sites as possible are in the H+ form (washing with water to get milky stuff and fines out (always), then (only with "spent" resins) with dilute sulfuric acid, followed by a water wash).
2. eluting the H+ using NaNO3(aq)
3. titrating the acidity and calculation of the [H+] equivalent to H2SO4.

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2011 at 14:15

BOO-YHA! Thank you Ozone for the concise responce now I have a place to start from.
SHADYCHASE54.

Go To Top