Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of propanoic acid from methyl ethyl ketone via haloform reaction. Questions.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 18:31
Synthesis of propanoic acid from methyl ethyl ketone via haloform reaction. Questions.

Hello,

I was watching a NurdRage video. Propanoic acid was synthesized from methyl ethyl ketone using the haloform reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDMuQtglPIw

My questions is,

Is this a viable OTC route to propanoic acid or is it just a waste of time beyond exploring the science?
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 18:38

It is a viable route to propionic acid.
Although, calcium propionate is likely already available OTC, as this is used to preserve bread.
So you might have it even easier.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2020 at 18:50

Quote: Originally posted by karlosĀ³  
It is a viable route to propionic acid.
Although, calcium propionate is likely already available OTC, as this is used to preserve bread.
So you might have it even easier.

Awesome, I will have to check the local baking store and see if they carry it. I might still try the haloform procedure on small scale just to do it.

Thanks.
Racconized
Harmless

Mood: Yes

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 03:11

Personally I would not consider it economically viable or efficient (time consuming), if the desired product is propionic acid. Considering the bleach hypochlorite solutions in stores are usually 5-6% (think in some countries they got 10%). My point is you need a lot of hypochlorite and with that much dilution you will have to deal with large volumes.
Large volumes are okay if the desired product is e.g. chloroform since it's not that soluble in water (8g/cm^3), decant and sep funnel.

This is just my opinion and imo you should try it, fun experiment, I did this a while back to get some chloroform however I made it using a 12% sodium hypochlorite solution made with calcium hypochlorite (tedious process, calcium hydroxide).

Nurdrage gets propionic acid via forming the Na salt from the 17% distillate, however if found something you maybe can take advantage of to increase propionic acid in distillate http://ijariie.com/AdminUploadPdf/SEPARATION_OF_PROPIONIC_AC...
Don't know if this is true or not, I just found it via a quick search

Btw if you really need propionic acid, it is also not that expensive from a chemical warehouse

[Edited on 6-7-2020 by Racconized]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 04:43

Yes that was my concern too. Having to deal with all of the volume, even with the usefulness of chloroform, I have no used for large amounts at the moment. I was considering using Ca(OCl)2.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...

I do still plan on trying the process for fun, it is something to do and put in my lab book.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 20:31

Calcium hypochlorite for mek is the best option.it can be done more concentrated than the naocl.

[Edited on 7-7-2020 by draculic acid69]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 21:29

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Calcium hypochlorite for mek is the best option.it can be done more concentrated than the naocl.

[Edited on 7-7-2020 by draculic acid69]

Awesome, that will be my method.

Thanks for all the input.

Go To Top