Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scottish MRE with radioactive heater: Hoax?
Whathappensif
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 13:22
Scottish MRE with radioactive heater: Hoax?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU

Is this a hoax or not?

scottish_mre.png - 1.2MB
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 14:05
Undetermined

I can't say if it's a hoax or not. The
radioactive heater, scotch and e-cig
don't seem like something found in an
MRE. 1 thing's for sure. If I had to live
on this type of mre I'd never be sober !
Throw in a joint and that would really
make my day ! :D:D:D

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Chemorg42
Hazard to Others

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 17:19

hoax or not, the presenter is definitely some kind of military / atomic enthusiast.
However, This person sure seems to think that the video is a "Spoof."

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 23:22

lol ofc it is a troll. i've been subscribed to clive for a few years. he is just trolling

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make

If you are looking for chemicals check this out: [For Sale]300 chemicals (rare & unusual)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
wg48temp9
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 00:05

The implication is there is an alloy of plutonium when formed in to a hollow cylinder about 3mm in diameter, about 35mm long with mass less than one gram is almost critical when a 1mm control rod is removed from its centre. That would mean you could make the rod super critical by forming it in to a sphere.

Luckily no such alloy exists or we would have nuclear hand grenades. On the plus side it would make nuclear powered cars or houses possible.

Yes its a hoax. I wounder what percentage of people watching the video would think it was at least 50% perhaps >95% .

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Whathappensif
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 01:17

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
The implication is there is an alloy of plutonium when formed in to a hollow cylinder about 3mm in diameter, about 35mm long with mass less than one gram is almost critical when a 1mm control rod is removed from its centre. That would mean you could make the rod super critical by forming it in to a sphere.

Luckily no such alloy exists or we would have nuclear hand grenades. On the plus side it would make nuclear powered cars or houses possible.

Yes its a hoax. I wounder what percentage of people watching the video would think it was at least 50% perhaps >95% .

Of course, your assumptions are that the material is plutonium, and that it needs to be almost critical to produce its heat. Putting the "control rod" into the assembly may not be what you think it is for. The heat flux through the vanes of the heat exchanger is a conserved quantity that is determined by the heat generated within the control volume. If you remove the "control rod" which may be actually the same material, the heat flux is reduced because the total amount of heat generated within the control volume is proportional to the mass, and you've reduced the mass.

If we suppose your estimates of the volume of the cylinder is correct, we have a volume of radioactive material at 2.5e-7m3.

Each gram of Pu-238 spontaneously generates 0.568W of heat. With the density of Pu as 19800 kgm-3, that gives the mass to be about 5g. 2-3W of heat is not going to heat up your instant noodles.

If we throw caution in the wind and use say Po-210 instead, with a density of 9200 kgm-3, that gives us about 2.3g of material. Each gram of Po-210 produces 140W of power, so you're getting about 320W of power from this mass.
Quote:
the energy released by its decay is so large (140 watts/g) that a capsule containing about half a gram reaches a temperature above 500ÂșC.

There are at least 20 isotopes with a half life between Po-210 and Pu-238, which may be an appropriate balance of operational/storage/shelf life, watts per gram, low toxicity, suitable material properties for a MRE, etc....before we even start looking at alloys of said materials.

The point being, such a device is possible from an engineering point of view. Whether it is used or not depends on the policy makers.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonium-210
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium-238

Attachment: polonium.pdf (40kB)
This file has been downloaded 153 times

wg48temp9
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 02:14

Quote: Originally posted by Whathappensif  

Of course, your assumptions are that the material is plutonium, and that it needs to be almost critical to produce its heat. Putting the "control rod" into the assembly may not be what you think it is for. The heat flux through the vanes of the heat exchanger is a conserved quantity that is determined by the heat generated within the control volume. If you remove the "control rod" which may be actually the same material, the heat flux is reduced because the total amount of heat generated within the control volume is proportional to the mass, and you've reduced the mass.

The presenter claimed it was a plutonium alloy and that the rod was a neutron absorber and that he inserted it to reduce the heat produced.

The temperature of a heat producing object is determined by its heat loss from its surface. Removing the rod would have very little change in its outer surface area and therfore very little change it its temperature.

Yes radioactive decay produces heat but that would be a different video. I can imagine a clip from the Simpsons were Homer heats up his pot noodles with a used fuel rod LOL.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Whathappensif
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 02:25

Quote: Originally posted by Whathappensif  

The presenter claimed it was a plutonium alloy and that the rod was a neutron absorber and that he inserted it to reduce the heat produced.

The temperature of a heat producing object is determined by its heat loss from its surface. Removing the rod would have very little change in its outer surface area and therfore very little change it its temperature.

Yes radioactive decay produces heat but that would be a different video. I can imagine a clip from the Simpsons were Homer heats up his pot noodles with a used fuel rod LOL.

I have a lot of respect for bigclive but somehow I don't think he did a metallurgical analysis of the rod and the heating alloy (if he isn't trolling :D), to be able to conclude that it is a plutonium heater + neutron absorber.

If the rod is either a radioactive isotope itself, or a neutron absorber, then whether or not it is in place will make a difference to the heat generated and therefore the temperature of the cooling elements. I agree with your earlier analysis though, IF the heater is Pu-based with a neutron absorber then it is BS.
DavidJR
International Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 02:33

He's taking the piss.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 03:03

Did anyone seriously get past the whisky without realising it was a spoof?
Whathappensif
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 03:22

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
He's taking the piss.

OK :D:D
G-Coupled
National Hazard

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 20:09

Fucking hell, is this BigClive? lmao

Oh, he's a card. :D