Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloroform from TCCA instead if hypochlorite?
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2020 at 07:58
Chloroform from TCCA instead if hypochlorite?

Can TCCA be used as the chlorinating agent instead of sodium hypochlorite to make chloroform? Could it be used directly, or would one need to use it indirectly to generate chlorine? Would the chlorine need to be bubbled through sodium hydroxide to get hypochlorite or is it feasible that the chlorine could work directly on the acetone?
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 16-7-2020 at 08:35

You should try using the search engine, there are a few posts concerning this, even somewhere a successful description how to do it.
Apparently you use the TCCA to generate a hypochlorite solution in situ, somehow like this.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 16-7-2020 at 11:32

I found this thread the other day, which includes a method for doing what you are after I think.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2020 at 16:43

Not too long ago I calculated the cost of this, using TCCA + NaOH + acetone to yield chloroform using reported yields. I didn't save the calculation but it was something like 2-3 times more expensive (per unit of chloroform produced) than using gallon jugs of 10% pool chemical bleach.
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 06:25

Quote: Originally posted by karlosĀ³  
You should try using the search engine, there are a few posts concerning this, even somewhere a successful description how to do it.
Apparently you use the TCCA to generate a hypochlorite solution in situ, somehow like this.

I did look at a few existing threads, but it didn't seem like any consensus was reached.

I suppose you mean the one where NaOH and acetone is mixed, and chlorine bubbled through it. Someone warned against polymerisation happening with the acetone so it didn't seem like an entirely good method.

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
Not too long ago I calculated the cost of this, using TCCA + NaOH + acetone to yield chloroform using reported yields. I didn't save the calculation but it was something like 2-3 times more expensive (per unit of chloroform produced) than using gallon jugs of 10% pool chemical bleach.

Sure, I believe you. But I don't have the option to buy gallon jugs of pool bleach unfortunately. The only chlorine I can find is cleaning grade chlorine, which is sometimes full of detergent as well, plus it's ~2-3 USD per liter. Plus, I already have a whole lot of TCCA that I probably won't be using up any time soon. And this alternate route is an opportunity to learn more chemistry.

I'm also not too stoked about the sheer volumes required when using hypochlorite.

[Edited on 17-7-2020 by Junk_Enginerd]
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 18:28

I didn't realise the link wasn't working in my last post sorry.
Did you see the work by garage chemist and woelen?
link
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 23:57

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I didn't realise the link wasn't working in my last post sorry.
Did you see the work by garage chemist and woelen?
link

Ohh, that's perfect. Thanks!

Go To Top