Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying nickel(II) chloride
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 10:25
Drying nickel(II) chloride

So several months ago in October of 2010, I made some NiCl2 by dissolving nickel metal in excess HCl. After I made a solution I threw it into a tupperware container with NaOH pellets, changing out the desiccant as required and forgot about it until recently. A mix of the hydrated crystals (green) and the anhydrous (yellow) have formed, however I want it all in one form or the other and not a mix.

My thought is that if I add some ethanol or methanol to help dissolve some of the hydrate, it will help speed up the rate at which the dehydration occurs. Does anyone think this will work?
nitric
Harmless

Mood: nitrous

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 11:26

I think the best thing to do would be to put it in a vacuum desicator, or at the least put in a lot of CaCl2 pellets and the NiCl2 in a tupperware and leave it a week or two.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 11:30

Just continue what you were doing and don't forget about it this time?
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 21:57

How about this idea:

Boil off water using low temperature under vacuum (water aspirator). When enough crystals have formed vacuum filter them off and repeat.

I have some NiCl2 I need to purify

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 22:47

I think a few people are misunderstanding the question.

Currently I have a solid mixture of both anhydrous and hydrated NiCl2, the NaOH dessicant is enough to slowly remove water and form the anhydrous salt. My question is whether using ethanol to solublize the hydrate (anhydrous is insoluble) will speed up the process (or whether the NaOH will just get coated in NaOEt salt and become passivated).

Initial drying was done in the dessicator because of the excess HCl and the general effects of corrosion on anything in the room. Once the solid was formed, the entire sample can be considered non-volatile with heating in aqueous solution. I could redissolve the entire sample, and reconcentrate-crystallize at this point to get a even sample of the hydrate, or I could find a way to speed up the dehydration via NaOH.

Go To Top