Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CS2 preparation via 1,3,5-trithiane and S2Cl2 per translated German paper
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2020 at 21:01
CS2 preparation via 1,3,5-trithiane and S2Cl2 per translated German paper

Hello all. I’ve decided to do some research on carbon disulfide preparations and there have been some very reports and videos of preparing this using sulfur and activated carbon. This process however uses very high temperatures and produces very little for the amount of time spent on setup and synthesis. The ease of preparing 1,3,5-trithiane seems like a decent alternative as one can use formaldehyde, hydrogen sulfide - made from FeS or any alternative route, and hydrogen chloride. Trithiane can then be reacted with sulfur chloride according to this paper which I have spent the better part of a day translating and editing to format decently. As I do not speak German I have resulted to using google translate and meticulously proof read the copies text for scanned errors. That being said, there may be a few errors that slipped through the cracks however I tried to read it a reword sentences to the best of my ability. Well anyways, take a look.

Attachment: bloch1922.pdf (298kB)
This file has been downloaded 271 times

Attachment: About symmetrical dichlorodimethyl sulfide (dichloromethyl sulfide).pdf (76kB)
This file has been downloaded 231 times

[Edited on 22-7-2020 by Opylation]
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2020 at 16:48

I don’t know if anybody noticed, but the bis(chloromethyl) sulfide co-product can be reacted with water to form bis(hydroxymethyl) sulfide, which itself breaks down into formaldehyde, thioformaldehyde, and water. Thioformaldehyde instantly cyclizes back into 1,3,5-trithiane! Also, there is a preparation of mustard gas that uses ethylene and SCl2 instead of the original S2Cl2 synthesis. I would assume that S2Cl2 could be replaced with SCl2 like as in the mustard gas preparation which would remove sulfur from being a co-product as well. It may be a slow and tedious process but it seems like the products are recyclable and it’s low temp. Could be a nice way to produce CS2 without needing 1100C+ temps

[Edited on 23-7-2020 by Opylation]

[Edited on 23-7-2020 by Opylation]
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 23-7-2020 at 02:21

Hmm, be careful! I bet bis(choromethyl)thioether is nasty shit.
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2020 at 03:23

Yeah, definitely! I was worried about it at first but the difference in b.p. compared to CS2 is about 100C. The paper states reacting the sulfide with water produces bis(hydoxymethyl) sulfide which can be isolated and reverted back to 1,3,5-trithiane. If methyl mustard is left in the reaction flask and then neutralized after CS2 production I would say the risk is minimal

Go To Top