Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Group theory 3d symmetry operation sources?
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Yin over yang

[*] posted on 27-7-2020 at 09:58
Group theory 3d symmetry operation sources?

Hello all! I've been learning about the symmetry within molecules from an assortment of different sources. This inorganic chemistry topic is popular enough to find all over the internet. Yet, the best learning experiences I have are when I am able to see the rotational and reflectional axis followed by a 3d animation of what it looks like. This means that the C, sigma, and dihedral axis are labeled. I've even seen animation in a lecture on Youtube where there were even scripts programmed to show how the bonds can stretch and bend with respect to the coupling electron.

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource for viewing such animations easily.

It's quite easy to find one here and there throughout the internet. However, I'm looking for a good platform so I can stick to one site to view 3d molecular interactions. That would be extremely helpful.

Thank you and have a good day all :)

"I do not see myself as outside, why enter?"
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 20:07

Not sure about the labelling. It depends on what you're looking for I guess. But try out the software Avogadro. You can construct molecules of basically any type with some patience, and do several geometry optimizations.
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 20:21

Got it! It's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the help :)

reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 20:25

no probs. Found this in an older thread: https://symotter.org/gallery
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 05:04

Thoghts!Control, you should try Webmo.

https://www.webmo.net/demo/

Amongst its other beautiful attributes, it shows molecular orbitals and it animates the different resonances of molecules and calculates the frequency of the resonance.
And it is easy enough that my begining chem students can build and view molecules with minimal background knowledge.
It is pretty darned good.
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 15:54

j_sum, I appreciate the platform! It's a really helpful tool from what I can tell by scanning through all the sample molecules. I appreciate how the bond lengths are scripted in to show the ionic bond differences amongst atoms. Plus it is quite helpful for my visualization of atoms in space when getting to structures such as Aspirin. Also, I feel like I should thank you personally for all the posts you've made on forums. I've definitely read your name more than anyone else and I've learned a lot because of you. Keep on questioning my friend

Go To Top