Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Disposal of solvents
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 11-7-2021 at 11:39

Usually the local dump will take organic solvents. After all, they also take gasoline etc... It also helps to keep a log of all the organic waste you accumulated.
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 10:32

I collect my organic waste in a gasoline can, and keep a log book so I know what I put in there.
I then just bring it the local waste collection where they luckily take it. But I'm guessing any place that collects gasoline and paint thinner etc... should take it.

But if you have enough space then burning it in a small barrel may be fastests.

By the way: For more toxic reagents such as chromium compounds (reduced to the (iV) oxidation state what is the best way to dispose of it?
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 12:34

chromium (III) oxide is relatively inert if it is calcined in an oxygen free atmosphere.
In that state it can be disposed of as non-toxic waste.

This only applies to the calcined chromium (III) oxide.

Ideally, you would recycle the chromium.

Other substances have to be treated differently.

Example:
Mercury is considered non-toxic in the sulfide form.
Barium is safe in the sulfate form.
Beryllium is safe as the aluminosilicate (beryl - hard and insoluble)
Selenium Sulfide can literally be poured down the drain mixed with a surfactant.

Every element has it's own peculiarities and preferred form for disposal.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 18:43

Quote: Originally posted by Monoamine  
I collect my organic waste in a gasoline can, and keep a log book so I know what I put in there.
I then just bring it the local waste collection where they luckily take it. But I'm guessing any place that collects gasoline and paint thinner etc... should take it.

But if you have enough space then burning it in a small barrel may be fastests.

All in the same can?
I'm just thinking, there might be oxidising and reducing residues in there... might be better to have two of those on hand ideally.

Well, Shulgin had a walled pit in his garden, where he burned organic residues... which apparently, was the recommend method within states laws, in california or what :o
You can see said pit even in that one documentation, when they busted him after he violated his DEA license terms.
They even do some field tests on said pit if my memory serves right, and they are apparently satisfied with the results, so it must be quite lax... compared to european laws at least.

As for chromium(III) compounds, I add iron powder to the liquid wastes to reduce it to the relatively less toxic (VI) state.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top