Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Micro vacuum pumps?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 11:18
Micro vacuum pumps?

Do small, micro scale vacuum pumps exist that have capacity of few hundred milliliters to up to a few liters per minute at max? These kind of pumps would be small, cheap(ish), quieter and well enough for small exerimental setups, vacuum desiccator evacuations and so on. Full-size tabletop 400W vacuum pump can suck a full-sized distillation apparatus with all accessories dry within seconds, while only a very small suction would be needed to maintain it due to miniscule leaks.

Aspirators are one option and their benefit is running then directly from mains, so there's that.

Btw, why ebay aspirators state that max vacuum is 420mm Hg when aspirators with cold water should reach 30mbar?

[Edited on 2-8-2020 by Fyndium]
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 11:43

Maybe it's those aspirators capacity. My aspirator connected to the tap is pulling enough to boil water at 17 C

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 11:56

I distilled 194C BP stuff at 104C which indicates 70mbar vacuum with pump. Apparently the system was so leaky due to bleeder and poor fittings without grease - and the pump had wrong oil - that it did not get it any lower, but I'll fix that later. I remember earlier boiling water easily at room temp and I managed to freeze acetone with aspirator due to fast evaporation.

Nurdrage had that small water pump, I think I gotta see into that with aspirator. At least it is much more quiet and smaller than rotary pump and the water is easy to keep cool with ice blocks.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 12:58

You can modify an aquarium pump to work as a vacuum pump.
I use one of those for filtration and it would probably work ok for some other tasks but it won't pull a really hard vacuum.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 14:48

You can also get one of the cheap nebulizer air pumps for a few bucks at the thrift store. Mine was 4 or 5$. I switched the inlet and outlet tubes. There was just a filter plug on the intake side, hidden in it's casing, and a weird clip that went to the back side... Snip!

The machine is set up to pump to you, so the pressure side went to the back side of a hose barb. Instantly converts to a vacuum pump with just a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, that filter plug was snug in it. Total 4 screws lol.

I only separated one pre-glued hose connection, so it was pushed on and Cu wire twisted over for ease of disassembly.

IMG_20200802_152052871.jpg - 2.3MB IMG_20200802_152700152.jpg - 2.2MB IMG_20200802_152944105.jpg - 2.3MB

It's only a plastic piston and one way valve so your not gonna get too nice of a vacuum, but 4$ ... It's enough for filtrations. Got to clean and oil it after photos, it was a bit dirty.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-8-2020 at 21:32

The nebulizer pump violet sin posted is pretty much identical to the aquarium pump. The modification is basically the same.

Go To Top