Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question with Venturi system for vacuum filtration and lowering boiling point
nguyenvannam2904
Harmless

wink.gif posted on 5-8-2020 at 06:11
Question with Venturi system for vacuum filtration and lowering boiling point

When finding a suitable vacuum pump system for my lab, I found out Nurdrage video on Youtube about Venturi aspirator pump.
The link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYLlkTDstmo.
In video, he said that we can attach the aspirator vacuum pump with a gas compressor instead of water pump to avoid messing.
However, I don't know the specifications requirement for the gas compressor ( pressure in PSI or flow rate in litre/min )
Have you guy have any experience in this field? Hope to have the solution for my question <3

Untitled.png - 2.2MB

[Edited on 5-8-2020 by nguyenvannam2904]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 06:21

I believe the water pressure in an average home is limited to ~50psi by a regulator, so I would start with that and go from there.

Do a test vacuum distilling water with that and see how low you can boil water, if it is not enough raise the pressure on the compressors regulator. I believe most household compressors are between 120psi and 200psi, but I could be wrong in that range.

But to be honest, my opinion is get a bucket and a suitable water pump, messing should be an issue as long as the outlet hose goes back into the bucket. I am sure a water pump is more energy efficient that the compressor.

If you are going the compressor route, I would just find a way to use the compressor inlet as a vacuum, use a couple traps to catch damaging vapours to protect the motor and save the hassle of figuring out the aspirator pump with the compressor.

Edit:
Flow rate should be limited by the inlet/outlet on the aspirator.

[Edited on 5-8-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 06:28

The mods will fix it, place this in reagents and apparatus acquisition, and remove your other post.

Go To Top