Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: jacketless condenser
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 17:30
jacketless condenser

I am designing some apparatus for a microwave reactor and need a condenser without the jacket barbs. I could just buy one and Dremel it off but I wondered if there were already a piece of glass like this that I don't know of.

I tried to find a comparable piece of borosilicate tubing with a 24/40 joint (although this is not totally necessary) but all the tubes of the proper diameter are quite short.

Edit: I had read about air condensers when people were distilling sulfuric acid, but I thought that they were calling them that because they were using air in the jacket instead of water. I didn't realize it was a term for a piece of glassware. Thank you JJay! Ordered.

[Edited on 7-8-2020 by CouchHatter]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 17:40

An air condenser? https://www.ebay.com/itm/600mm-24-2-9-Air-Condenser-Heat-Exc...
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 21:16

considerably cheaper 24/40
https://www.ebay.com/itm/400mm-24-40-Air-Condenser-Heat-Exch...
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 21:35

I have to suggest that condenser posted by macckone, I owe it and use it. It is sold by nanshinglass, he is my favorite glass supplier, very kind person, he sends items very quickly, good quality and good prices.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 23:51

You can stack multiple smaller columns. The price jumps up very quickly with length, and there is also an additional risk of breaking the glass during shipping.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 11:54

Can you just use a vigreux column or a simple 24/40 extension tube, or do you want an insulated section with the condenser type jacket, just sealed? I have a few simple 24/40 extension tubes, with one each male and female joint? I also think I have a column or two for distillations that have a sealed jacket but no hose barbs? Are you using a CEM microwave for open heating? I also have a few rb flasks with long necks, if that helps.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 20:21

I actually spent about $15 on a 200mm from Chemglass. I did think of a vigreux, but I don't own one and just assumed that an air condenser would be more versatile/disposable if my experiment deforms it. Why would someone use a vigreux over a packed column for fractional distillation? I already own a fractioning column. A jacketed column without barbs would certainly be an improvement though. Let me know what you'd part with it for, Dr. Bob.

I'm using a GE consumer microwave to convert phosphoric acid to phosphorus per US Patent No. US6207024 . I'm pushing the limits of boro, the reaction requiring a minimum of 600C to occur. I will try it, and upon its potential failure switch to a ceramic reaction vessel.

Also the drawing is a very rough one, I won't really use 8-inch copper pipe and a tin can. I'll have proper guards in place for the escape of the microwaves. This image is just to get an idea of the logistics. Also there are aspects of the patent that I do not have the capability to replicate, such as the microwave tuner ($$$). Maybe it will be a complete waste of time, who knows!:P

reactor-1.jpeg - 122kB

Attachment: US6207024 phosphoric acid purification.pdf (342kB)
This file has been downloaded 227 times
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by CouchHatter  
I actually spent about $15 on a 200mm from Chemglass.

Can you link where you found the piece on Chemglass? The only one I find was $70.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 04:53

Sorry, I meant deschem. Friday was a long day for me.

Go To Top