Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The disappearance of cheap ebay laboratory glassware
ArbuzToWoda
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 00:41

Huh? There are many cheap companies that do that. That is the most accessible one, I believe: https://www.myus.com/
You just ship it to their address, they ship it to you. Simple and cheap.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 01:27

Quote: Originally posted by nzlostpass  

The 24 is the angle and the 40 or 29 is the length so they dont seal perfectly due to being diff lengths but do fit. Depends what your use is.

Mind blown, all this time I thought one was a diameter and the other the length. Makes so much more sense........
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 01:35

I discovered this by accident by ordering a pile of glassware with 24/29, 24/40 joints and noticed when you fit /40 male into /29 female it sinks deeper. The angle of the cone is the same so they fit good enough for everything I've faced so far, including vacuum. The only instance you could in theory face an issue could be a very tight fitting part that has something directly below the joint, hence the 40 male could fit just a bit too deep. Haven't had this issue so far though.

Same thing with 29/32 and 29/42. Generally it seems that as long as the first number is same, it fits. In a world of units we have long tons, short tons, imperial tons and then metric tons. You learn to use the MT unit quickly when dealing with overseas suppliers, otherwise you quickly see you are almost 100kg short and they wash their hands "you said tons, not what type of".

And yeah, those middle man companies ship stuff around regional restrictions, as long as the stuff itself is legal.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 02:36

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  

And yeah, those middle man companies ship stuff around regional restrictions, as long as the stuff itself is legal.

Have you tried using them? I am guessing the Australian import laws would mean third parties could not help. Or its it that because the product is lawful they can send it as a gift?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 06:03

Not me, but my friend ordered stuff from US ages ago, some stuff that was shipping only to states. But for AUS things may differ, their customs are known to be PITA. My country allegedly also has strict customs, but I have found that this is more of an scare tactic. Only god knows what I have imported over the decades and it leaks like a chinese vacuum desiccator.

I believe they have their own no-go lists which they just don't accept in any ways, and after that, they have the liability clause that you are responsible for everything and pay their huge fees if they face any issues.
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 21:42

You can always ask your local glass blower, we often have old second hand stuff going cheap. Our made to order items like adapters are going to be cheaper than dealing with a large supplier who is probably one of several middlemen. I'm in Aus, I'm friendly to the SM community and like to support enquiring minds.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2020 at 00:40

Thanks @Chemetix! If I knew I could get this custom made locally that is the first place I would have gone. Can you tell me your company so I can place an order or do I come direct to you?
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2020 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Deschem can't ship to Australia because of our customs laws sadly. I have been on the hunt for a reducing adapter from 34/35 to 24/40 for a while now and they are the only ones that I have seen that stock one.

Deschem in particular or all Chinese suppliers? I think Extractions&Ire (YouTube) gets all of his equipment from China without issue and he's based in Australia.

[Edited on 9-26-2020 by monolithic]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2020 at 10:18

I've seen Deschem's packaging in many people's videos. Always makes me smile :)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
ChemichaelRXN
Hazard to Others

Mood: Universal Eye

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 10:04

Yes, Deschem is amazing...I order a lot of my glassware from him. I hope he continues the great work.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 10:22

All the vendors have packaged their stuff very well. They are either in styrofoam boxes wrapped in bubble wrap, and Deschem uses those custom cut blue urethane sheets and tapes the glass (in cellular plastic) directly to the walls of the package. Zero breakages with them so far. Deschem is only vendor who manages to get all the stuff to me in 1-3 weeks, the other can easily take much more than a month.

Only from other vendor I got some broken glass tubes which were just in bubble wrap in a letter, but got prompt full refund.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 12:23

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  

Deschem in particular or all Chinese suppliers? I think Extractions&Ire (YouTube) gets all of his equipment from China without issue and he's based in Australia.

[Edited on 9-26-2020 by monolithic]

When some (but not all) Chinese suppliers, including Deschem, list there items on Australian ebay the shipping comes up as > $1,000 US. When I have enquired about it they have responded that Australian customs does not allow them to send certain items into Australia. I would be very interested to hear from anyone in Australia that is still able to purchase from them.
Mush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2020 at 03:26
Important change from 1 July 2021 UK/EU

eBay alerts sellers on UK & EU ecommerce VAT reforms

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-10-2020 at 06:30

The 24 is the angle and the 40 or 29 is the length so they dont seal perfectly due to being diff lengths but do fit. Depends what your use is.

Mind blown, all this time I thought one was a diameter and the other the length. Makes so much more sense........
The first number is the diameter at the top of the joint, but they all taper at the same angle, so pieces of any length are compatible as long as they are the same diameter (with a few exceptions: a 24/40 condenser might not fit into a 24/29 vacuum take-off adapter since the male joint will likely be unable to go in all the way, due to the geometry of the adapter).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-10-2020 at 21:58

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  

The first number is the diameter at the top of the joint, but they all taper at the same angle, so pieces of any length are compatible as long as they are the same diameter (with a few exceptions: a 24/40 condenser might not fit into a 24/29 vacuum take-off adapter since the male joint will likely be unable to go in all the way, due to the geometry of the adapter).

You are correct, I remembered incorrectly.
saphireblue
Harmless

Mood: I am like Earth, mostly harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 00:17

This might be slightly off topic, but does anyone else in Australia get rather large postal rates when looking at Deschem on ebay?

deschem postage.bmp - 3MB
saphireblue
Harmless

Mood: I am like Earth, mostly harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 00:19

oops! sorry for big picture...
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 00:20

Yep I get the same. When I questioned it they said they can't ship to Australia because of our import law.

Edit - See my post, just a few above

[Edited on 25-10-2020 by B(a)P]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 06:09

Amazon just also said that sellers need to deal with VAT taxes in the UK, so I am giving up on any shipments to the EU, as the amounts are different in every country, and are billed to me after the sale, so I cannot know what the cost will be when I sell. So I have a book sold to Norway come with a $100 impoirt fee, which was almost the entire cost of the book sale, so i basically lost money onthe sale after shipping and fees. And since Amazon paid the fee "for me" to Norway, I had the money taken from my sales without even knowing it would happen. That is a nightmare to deal with.

What made China so cheap for a while was the subsidized postage of only a $1 per item under a certain weight (not sure if 1 or 4 pounds, a fraction of my costs for even a local package), as well as almost no import fees in the US. Since everyone else is charging fees, taxes, or duties on imports, its no wonder that the US is going broke, when everyone taxes ours sales, but we didn't used to do that on smaller sales. But that just limits the ability of small businesses to sell overseas. I know that I cannot do international sales now to any real degree.
Mush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 11:15

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Amazon just also said that sellers need to deal with VAT taxes in the UK, so I am giving up on any shipments to the EU, as the amounts are different in every country, and are billed to me after the sale, so I cannot know what the cost will be when I sell. So I have a book sold to Norway come with a $100 impoirt fee, which was almost the entire cost of the book sale, so i basically lost money onthe sale after shipping and fees. And since Amazon paid the fee "for me" to Norway, I had the money taken from my sales without even knowing it would happen. That is a nightmare to deal with.

What made China so cheap for a while was the subsidized postage of only a $1 per item under a certain weight (not sure if 1 or 4 pounds, a fraction of my costs for even a local package), as well as almost no import fees in the US. Since everyone else is charging fees, taxes, or duties on imports, its no wonder that the US is going broke, when everyone taxes ours sales, but we didn't used to do that on smaller sales. But that just limits the ability of small businesses to sell overseas. I know that I cannot do international sales now to any real degree.

Yes, it is going to be a nightmare for everyone. I do order time to time used books from the USA. I expect sharp increases in price from the following summer.
Combined with covid madness, timing could not have been worse to introduce such law.

[Edited on 25-10-2020 by Mush]
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 13:44

I'm totally *ked up if they stop shipping glass from China. The few european suppliers have only limited selection and they generally command around 400% higher price for similar stuff.
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 13:58

Chemland ships glass cheaper than the Chinese and it's got more than you could think of. Just take a look at their site, the only problem is you've gotta pay for shipping from Eastern Europe.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 23:59

Thanks for the tip, wasn't aware of this store before.

EDIT Ok, is there some catch here? The stuff is like 3 times cheaper than in China?

[Edited on 26-10-2020 by Fyndium]
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 07:02

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
Thanks for the tip, wasn't aware of this store before.

EDIT Ok, is there some catch here? The stuff is like 3 times cheaper than in China?

[Edited on 26-10-2020 by Fyndium]

The ground joint sizes are weird.
SecretSquirrel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 09:31

WOW! Thank you for the Chemland store tip. Compared to the suppliers I've used before their prices are excellent.

@monolithic: Actually the gound joint sizes they offer are very common in Europe. 29/32 is as common in the EU as is 24/40 in the USA.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top