Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What’s banned in CA?
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 11:47
What’s banned in CA?

Hey,

I’m from California. I’m on a trip right now in Utah right now and will later pass through Nevada. I thought it would be nice to stock up on some chemicals that are available here that are banned in California.

Off the top of my head I’ve thought of DCM and Toluene. Anything else I should get ahold of before it’s too late?

Thanks

[Edited on 10-8-2020 by thors.lab]

Please check out my latest video: Synthesizing Nitrobenzene, and the last one:
Making Nitric Acid.
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 12:22

naptha

xylene

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 14:22

I feel ya.

I am close enough to wyoming I can drive an hour and hit up a hardware store.

Colorado has very strict VOC rules now.
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 18:12

I'm not recommending breaking the laws but that's what else scaqmd or whatever it's called has banned, in addition to possibly others.

I'm not sure if small quantities of solvent are still available in CA for laboratory uses!?

[Edited on 8/11/2020 by Yttrium2]
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 00:38

Quote: Originally posted by Yttrium2  
I'm not recommending breaking the laws but that's what else scaqmd or whatever it's called has banned, in addition to possibly others.

I'm not sure if small quantities of solvent are still available in CA for laboratory uses!?

[Edited on 8/11/2020 by Yttrium2]

As far as I know these compounds aren’t illegal they just can’t be sold or shipped to California

Making Nitric Acid.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 03:19

DCM is impossible to find even outside of CA. If you're near a Home Depot you can probably get a gallon of xylenes for $20.
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
DCM is impossible to find even outside of CA. If you're near a Home Depot you can probably get a gallon of xylenes for $20.

I thought DCM was in some paint strippers? Is this no longer the case??

Making Nitric Acid.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 16:36

Quote: Originally posted by thors.lab  
Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  

I thought DCM was in some paint strippers? Is this no longer the case??

You might be able to find it in obscure specialty products but you won't find DCM in OTC paint strippers unless you find some really old stock, like 3-5+ years old. I have a thread with a bit more information on this: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...

I ended up buying a liter of DCM from Consolidated Chemical. Carolina Biological will likely sell it to you as an individual.

[Edited on 8-12-2020 by monolithic]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 16:46

I bought a gallon of paint stripper last year or three ago, who really knows. But instead of distilling DCM from it, it's just sitting. I was suggested to go down to Sierra chemical suppliers since I'm in north central Cali.

https://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/

They have sparks Nevada and Sacramento California stores, and carry methylene chloride. I didn't NEED it for anything so I never called or shown up yet here yet. Take a look, they been in business a while, will help formulate or special label stuff for you too.

Another thing, I worked along side a couple carpenters about a year ago, one was normally an oil field drilling guy. He had lots of stuff by the 50# bag back at his shop. They were a touch off put by my conversation at first.. Drywall guy talking chemistry, but if you show you have a head on your shoulders, aren't wacked out on drugs, and have some cash... They have plenty of nice things available to them. NaOH, cheap as hell, they purchase by the pallet already. I was glad to shake a hand and know I wasn't taken for a cook. They invited me to get in touch some time and I was just busy, forgot. Youngest is just over 1 years old... Go figure.

[Edited on 12-8-2020 by violet sin]
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 19:45

Everyone hates chemistry. the liberals hate chemistry because "omg scary chemicals with big long names" and the conservatives hate chemistry because drugs, terrorism, etc. sad

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 21:20

Cannot get denatured alcohol here.... yes, denatured alcohol. Something to do with reduction in VOC's and denatured alcohol was a low-hanging fruit.
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 23:17

Don't forget about the MEK
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 00:37

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  
Cannot get denatured alcohol here.... yes, denatured alcohol. Something to do with reduction in VOC's and denatured alcohol was a low-hanging fruit.

Uhhh I saw denatured alcohol in SoCal no more than a year ago at Home Depot. I haven’t been seeing it lately but I assumed it was Covid (for hand sanitizer). Did this change recently?

Making Nitric Acid.
macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 08:46

Lack of denatured ethanol is definitely covid.
Isopropyl is also a shortage due to it being used for the denaturing agent in hand sanitizer.
My local grocery stores literally haven't gotten a shipment of isopropyl in months.
Some of the pharmacies have it occassionally.
I know when the shipment comes in so I can go down and grab it before it is raided.
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 15:05

Not COVID-related, it was enacted in 2019 but stores were allowed to sell what stock was on hand. It is a series of regulations enacted by C.A.R.B. the air-resources board. Basically, California did so well improving the air quality from the 70's-80's that they have run out of stuff to ban so they are putting restrictions on consumer goods. Denatured alcohol is just the one of many consumer products like glass cleaners and mouthwash. It is insane, just do a search on 'C.A.R.B. regulations'.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 17:52

From my reading, they got squeezed to make more progress and weren't guided as to which VOC's to axe, so they went with the ones that would have less impact on industrial user's.

It's not fun reading all the mechanics and such that basically curse California and those from it, Eve if you do leave, because of the laws here. As if we are all just insane and deserve to have industry dry up. Kinda an ugly side of people just blasting others because,.." your cancerous thinking has no place in MY state.. stay the f___ out of xxxxxxxx state you filthy longhairs. "

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/shop-management-and-ow...

Just one of many discussions on how we are ruining the world as people knew it... But it's surely not fun for us Californian's either, good grief. Ya can't get mad, it's internet people.
macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 20:43

Maybe in california it isn't covid related.
Here in colorado it definitely is.
We are even having trouble getting drinking alcohol because hand sanitizer is currently more profitable.

Go To Top