Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ethanol Distillation
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 00:04

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
I've found activated carbon a decent anti bump agent. Inert to mostly everything, perhaps excluding HNO3 and some strong oxidizers, heavy enough to stay at the bottom, as porous as you can get, easy to separate and also otc, cheap and ready to use straight from the bag.

Silica gel also works but carries a little water into the still.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 00:22

99% ethanol is sold as bio-ethanol here to be used in decorative fireplaces. It also only contains MEK and denatonium. You can distill the first part as 96% and as anhydrous after that.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 01:08

In general water solutions containing significant dissolved CO2 do not bump.

A pinch of sodium bicarbonate can be added to a water bath to prevent bumping. That works because the bicarbonate produces dissolved CO2.

[Edited on 8/18/2020 by wg48temp9]

The OP asked how much 40% alcohol can be obtained from 17% alcohol by a simple distillation.

Below is table of boiling points of alcohol water mixtures with the composition of the vapour at that boiling point.

If you look at the entry for 17% alcohol the vapour has 70% alcohol. which reduces the percentage of alcohol in boiling liquid. When the percentage of alcohol in the boiling liquid reaches 16% the percentage of alcohol in the vapour is reduced to 69%. The zig zag line shows how the percentage changes as the distillation progresses. You stop the distillation when most of the alcohol has been boiled off or when the temperature gets to 100C. This relates to a simple distillation with no fractionation column.

PS: sorry I screwed up the zig zag line hopefully you can still follow it with the green triangles

.alc-wate-data.jpg - 51kB

[Edited on 8/18/2020 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top