Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Iso-Butyl Nitrite
Regolith
Hazard to Self

Mood: Glacial

[*] posted on 26-2-2011 at 19:32

Indeed many threads here tend to wander (this time I wasn't at the helm :D)

Bahamuth nailed down the purification. With the exception that you'd be getting the NaCl out of solution long before getting out the nitrite. 250 grams of nitrite could hide in under 200ml of water(at boiling). You will know your getting there when the solution is a deep yellow like my above. You will need to get it out of all that salt, 1.8kg (of salt) is going to kill your reaction simply by sucking up all the reagents, unless you do this with significant water, even then your losses will be extreme. http://www.generalchemical.com/assets/pdf/Sodium_Nitrite_Sol...

Keep in mind that whole 2kg has only 250 grams of nitrite... If your paying more than 30 bucks your getting ripped off. Actually more than 15$ for 250 grams is getting ripped off. As is sometimes the case with chemistry you can manufacture a cheaper product, however it IS already food grade. An important note as it's going to be at least lab grade more likely reagent or acs (Next 10 grand I have sitting around I'm getting a desktop GC/mass spec). So your body is worth as much as you make it. If I had nothing else I would use what you have found.

Why are you using IBA ? Is it available to you in high purity ? While I'm on the same page as the people above. Making something your going to consume yourself takes confidence in both your ability and confidence in your reagents. IPA makes a good substitution and is found at drug store in 99 percent purity(I would say food grade but, it's generally not eaten). It's less toxic than IBA and the remaining water content can be removed by salting out(hey! found a use for all your extra salt) and separating the layers.

Finally I add these guys to the thread when testing a "known of unknown purity" your intending you eat, inhale, or otherwise use on yourself you should really not be the primary life form you use it on. When doing a new reaction (for me) that will be used in a human. Or far more often biochemistry, I use these guys as my test subjects. I own their grandfather and have matched their genome to the known sequenced dna of gerbils. So I have a very good baseline to use thats not a valuable human.
02262011299.jpg - 111kB
antdoyle88
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2011 at 02:13

Quote:

Over potassium carbonate it may be stable for half a year in a fridge if the product was adequately purified beforehand.

Would this be similar to the so-called "power balls" which retail brand poppers contain? A small, ball bearing sized white ball which apparently keeps the popper fresh for 6 months.

@Regolith -

The Sodium Nitrite 2kg salt base is $5 AUD per KG. At the moment I think AUD is equal to USD so it's within the prices you mentioned above.

My reason for using IBA instead of IPA are down to my experience with different quality brands of poppers. A high end retail bottle contains IB Nitrite and tends to be, recreationally, alot more potent, crisp/clean with no after effects. My experience with the crappy asian bulk-buy poppers is that they were all IP Nitrite. That's what I based my decision from.

I can understand everyones reluctancy to help me too much because of where this is going to be going.. But please be rest assured.. I am not stupid, I will not consume something which I do not trust and I will not be doing it until I feel I have all the relevant knowledge to do it safely. Even then, grand total consumption will be less than 5mls probably once a month.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 28-2-2011 at 12:10

I've heard of those "power balls", though not with that name, but that some producers of the poppers products had some "special" stabilizer supplied with their product. IIRC they mentioned some proprietary polymer, though I always suspected it was some mix of alkali carbonates. Guess that the potassium salt is "more" soluble than the sodium salt in organic solvents, as potassium salt tend to be in my experience.

If no stabilizer is added, I have experienced that it would decompose heavily in just a few days regardless of storage temperatures.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
sonottawa
Harmless

Mood: nothing

[*] posted on 26-8-2011 at 22:22

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Want to make some "poppers" I presume:)

If your knowledge is as limited as the post suggests, you should not try to synthesize a bioactive compound.

Anyways, with all that nitrate in your "Prague Powder" my guess is that you will get some very toxic byproducts, and doubt you will get any alkyl nitrite at all.

IIRC I have seen those exact amounts somewhere else

Me too, I jst tried to make the Iso-Butyl nitrites (poppers) @ my mini home lab and have posted few questions in this 4room regarding about my product. I was very appreciated to certain members in here who gave some real precious advices which, as I'm not Pro-chemist (but if yes, I don't think myself or most of sciencemadness's members will be here to ask questions) never educated from school.

Besides, certain 4room members had considerate us, the un-pro-chemist, as real dumb and should not touch or even think about trying anything. If every new-wannabe chemist has similar thinking, I assume that none of similar 4room will survive, 'cause no members visit. And the Pro-chemist don't need to come here anyways, right.

Keep trying, bro

"There’s a will, there’s a way"

Thanks

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5598&a...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top