Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum pump connections
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 10:36
Vacuum pump connections

Hi there,

I have a rotary vane vacuum pump I bought a few years ago (a Leybold Trivac D2A to be precise).
I have only the pump but would need some sort of connector to attach a vacuum "hose" if I want to use it. (Which I do now.)
Problem is, the pump has a strange (for me) connector both for the vacuum and for the exhaust.

What are my options if I want to be able to use it? Where could I buy the proper attachments? What kind of "vacuum hose" should I use? Basically I want to connect the vacuum side to various glassware while it would be nice if I could attach a simple plastic hose to the exhaust and vent the oil aeorosol outside. If the solution would be inexpensive it would not hurt.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 11:44

The most likely connectors are those used on a/c systems.

Since you are in the EU, it is likely an EU standard.
If it is a pre-EU pump then good luck.
In the US the 1/4" flare is pretty standard but not universal.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 14:16

It looks like a KF16 flange. Something like this would work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KF-16-NW-16-3-8-Hose-Barb-Adapter-V... You would also need the clamp that fits around both ends of the KF16 flange.

Most vacuum take off adapters on 24/40 glassware are ~10 mm. A 3/8" hose barb is 9.5 mm. I use 5/16" inner diameter hose which is 7.9 mm, so as to get a good seal (the hose stretches.) You can buy purpose made vacuum pump hoses from a lab supplier, thick wall gum rubber tubing which is like $5-7/foot, or you can take the "good enough" approach and buy something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-8mm-ID-Blue-Vacuum-Silicone-Tu... The wall diameter isn't nearly as thick as purpose made lab tubing but it won't, in my experience, collapse on itself. It works fine for 99% of my uses like vacuum filtration on a diaphragm pump and vacuum distillation on a rotary vane pump.

[Edited on 8-18-2020 by monolithic]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 17:25

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
You would also need the clamp that fits around both ends of the KF16 flange.

...and o-ring that does not necessarily come with it. These clamps are a lot like other clamps; you get what you pay for. There are filters in that size or an adapter can be used with a KF24 as well. I wouldn't spend a lot on a 2.2 cfm pump...maybe a towel?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 22:32

Thanks Guys,

The "KF flange" key word did the trick. I definitely need a KF-type adaptor, I'll check the size. And two O-rings as well. And maybe a clamp too, because I have only one. The "good enough" silicone tube approach will be well, good enough to start with. :-)

Maybe a towel? Yes, it would probably suffice, but I'd prefer to apply the towel somewhere outdoors, to the end of a hose. :-) Just to prevent vasps building nest in the exhaust tubing. :-)

I got to the point where I want something purified by vacuum distillation. First I'll try to put together a "quick and dirty" recirculating aspirator thingy (I have a glass aspirator and a good sized pump, need some fittings and tubes) and try to pull the compound off by aspirator vacuum. I have to wait a few weeks probably for the KF-flange adapter and such anyway. Rest assured, I'll report how it went. :-)
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2020 at 11:13

Silicone tubing isn't great for vacuum, it tends to collapse in my experience. I can recommend PVC tubing instead, which maintains its shape. But it's a bit tougher to fit on the glass hose barbs.

Go To Top