Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some Chemistry Based on Turpentine
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2020 at 20:08
Some Chemistry Based on Turpentine

While searching for information related to the pinenes, I ran across the attached J Chem Ed article which suggests some interesting and challenging organic chemistry starting from alpha-pinene. Alpha-pinene is the major component of gum turpentine and can be obtained by fractional distillation. The second attached article describes in the experimental section the isolation and purification of alpha-pinene. It looks like this could be a bit of challenging fun for those so inclined.

AvB

Attachment: Pinene experiments JChemEd dominguez1963.pdf (2MB)
This file has been downloaded 375 times

Attachment: Interaction of a-Pinene with Carboxylic Acids valkanas1976.pdf (581kB)
This file has been downloaded 394 times

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2020 at 22:58

Hi AvBayer, thank you for sharing interesting ideas. 1 year ago I've bought 5 L canister of alfa pinene very cheaply.
I performed addition of hydrochloride gas to produce bornyl chloride https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
I also performed the D-limonene -> ...nitrosochloride -> ...carvoxime -> carvone, my starting material was D-limonene so the carvone produced with mint scent (the other carvone isomer has scent like cumin) https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Reaction with aliphatic acids seems to be promissing... the only thing which worries me is the separation of products (fenchyl, bornyl, terpynyl compounds) - but certainly even their mixture should have pleasant scent.
And yes, the pinene ring undergoes rearragements very easily...
I have a lot of synthetic camphor so looking forward P2O5 dehydratation (to p-cymene) and dil. HNO3 oxidation (to camphoric acid) described in the first pdf you attached - I hope during winter there will be some time to perform that.

Go To Top