Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: About anthranilic acid
Benignium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quasi-catatonic

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 19:09
About anthranilic acid

Some four days ago, I carried out the synthesis of anthranilic acid via rearrangement of phthalimide by sodium hypochlorite. I followed the Chemplayer method (love you guys), followed up by recrystallization from boiling water. My yield was nothing spectacular at 47.7% based on phthalimide used. These are my photos. DUN DUN

No, but seriously. I thought the process from making the phthalimide to recrystallizing the product was hugely satisfying and I took some pictures along the way that I wanted to share.

Besides the 22.22 grams of anthranilic acid (47.7%) from 300 milliliters of solution I isolated 5.00 grams of cupric anthranilate from 250 milliliters of solution. 50 grams of phthalimide was used. The phthalimide was washed twice using boiling water. 22.2% NaOCl was used.

For the record, I absolutely detest nearly any form of drug culture save for mixing, brewing and distilling alcoholic beverages. I know that anthranilic acid mostly just screams "oh this dude is making 'ludes". This however does very little to thwart the fascination I hold for nearly all things psychoactive, toxic or valuable. I also love a good challenge.

And that is why I'm attempting to synthesize methaqualone.

[Edited on 5-9-2020 by Benignium]
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 22:47

Benignium, beautiful !
Here one of us tried to further purify the product, but for most of syntheses such high purity is not essential:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Metaqualone, wow, nice !

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2020 at 02:28

How did you prepare 22% hypochlorite?

There is a topic somewhere here from not too long ago about purification of anthranilic acid using a Soxhlet with heptane.

[Edited on 5-9-2020 by Tsjerk]
Benignium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2020 at 04:40

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
Benignium, beautiful !
Here one of us tried to further purify the product, but for most of syntheses such high purity is not essential:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Metaqualone, wow, nice !

What an informative read! I plan on using the once recrystallized acid as is but should I make more for esters and such I will definitely be trying this out. Thank you! :)

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
How did you prepare 22% hypochlorite?

There is a topic somewhere here from not too long ago about purification of anthranilic acid using a Soxhlet with heptane.

[Edited on 5-9-2020 by Tsjerk]

I dissolved sodium carbonate in minimal water and keeping solution well below 10 degrees C added the molar equivalent of calcium hypochlorite. Usually I vacuum filter which is just painful, but when I am not up to it I just make double what I need and decant once the calcium carbonate has settled. The solution is stored between -10 and 5 degrees C. I have found that even after a few weeks it is as good as fresh. The amount of water I use is somewhat arbitrary and this time the concentration ended up being 22.2%.

[Edited on 5-9-2020 by Benignium]
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 5-9-2020 at 11:25

epic x) i need a way to make/get anthranilic acid so i can make anthranilate esters for their smells.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2020 at 05:33

Beautiful crystals and very well done! Anthranilic acid is a useful and interesting compound in its own right, so no inference at all...

... and that said we also couldn't resist the challenge and ended up making an lude-analogue in one of the videos so you could have a look at that and see if it helps you in your quest, but if I recall it utilised PCl3 as the dehydrating agent which isn't exactly easy to get. The workup from the reaction mixture was tricky though so you could probably learn from what we did.

Never tried it to see if it had any effects... really cannot be recommended given the highly toxic and carcinogenic nature of the starting amines and the likelihood of there being some of these remaining in the product.

Check out "Synthesis of a Quinazolinone Heterocycle": https://www.bitchute.com/video/aIkuuB2BH5xq/

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Benignium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2020 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  

Beautiful crystals and very well done!

Thank you!! What a morale boost to hear that from you! :)

https://www.bitchute.com/video/aIkuuB2BH5xq/

Very informative, as usual! Quite a tongue twister, too, but you really hit it out of the park. I know. Sorry. Somehow I've overlooked this video until now.
As far as purity is concerned, I will be perfectly happy if the product exhibits a coloration and melting point range close to literature values, as it's not meant for consumption.

I've been wanting to ask, are you still working on this preparation? It would be fascinating to go from acetonitrile all the way to some interesting phenethylamine, and seems quite viable.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 01:53

Slightly disguised as potentially one of the more controversial preps...

No never attempted that - dichloroacetophenone didn't sound like something that we'd be able to handle safely, although might be worth trying on a very small scale just to see how bad it is.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Benignium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 03:44

...dichloroacetophenone didn't sound like something that we'd be able to handle safely...

It is mentioned that the compound has lachrymatory properties, but other than that it seems rather benign to me. I agree that it could be worth investigating. I've been blessed with the possibility of working outside well away from other people, so I reckon I could at the very least examine its handling at some point. PubChem states 20.5°C as the melting point and a vapor pressure of 0.0194 mmHg is stated here.
As for the threat presented by however much 2,2,2-trichloroacetophenone will be present, I find that somewhat more concerning. Perhaps it would be for the best to try keeping the temperature as far away from 60°C as possible.

I have an urge to be cautiously optimistic.

[Edited on 5-10-2020 by Benignium]
Newton2.0
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-7-2021 at 17:45

I think there is a lot of potential down that route, starting from the more commonly available acid. Acid to ester to xx to XX. Very cool stuff and I would be so interested to see what potential reduction methods, post- acid ester, would yield.

Go To Top