Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium bromide route for rare earth bromides
LRM
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2020 at 17:11
Ammonium bromide route for rare earth bromides

I was looking at this paper and the process it describes for the production of rare earth bromides but I was wondering if someone could give me an idea why the paper says "CeO2, should not be used".

THE AMMONIUM-BROMIDE ROUTE TO ANHYDROUS RARE EARTH BROMIDES MBr

They unfortunately do not elaborate on why CeO2 should not be used but I would love to know. This might be wishful thinking but all that make sense to me would be that they are trying to say the +4 oxidation state of CeO2 would not work and to instead use Ce2O3.

Am I missing something here?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 08:43

CeO2 will almost certainly oxidize bromide ions to bromine which will then contaminate the product. I would have thought that terbium oxide and praseodymium oxides will react similarly. Terbium oxide slowly liberates chlorine as it dissolves in hot hydrochloric acid.
LRM
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 09:07

Would Ce2O3 have the same tendency to oxidize bromide ions to bromine as CeO2?

I am trying to plan how to go about producing CeBr3 and LaBr3. The lanthanum seems straight forward enough with the ammonium bromide route but I am having trouble finding viable techniques for producing the cerium tribromide.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 09:43

Ce2O3 is not oxidizing. Cerium can exist in two oxidation states, +4 and +3. It is quite strongly oxidizing when in the +4 oxidation state, especilly, when brought in (aqueous) solution.
Another issue might be the inertness of CeO2. This oxide, especially when heated for a longer time, becomes exceedingly unreactive and you will have difficulty getting it converted to anything else. I know from experience that CeO2 only can be dissolved in hot concentrated H2SO4. Aqueous solutions do not act on CeO2. But once the CeO2 is converted to a soluble compound, such as Ce(SO4)2, then you have a very reactive oxidizing agent.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
CeO2 will almost certainly oxidize bromide ions to bromine which will then contaminate the product.

Have a look here
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=156107
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 10:34

No, Ce2O3 should be OK but preparing this oxide and preventing from oxidizing to CeO2, which it does very readily may not be so easy. Could you use a proxy such as cerium III oxalate?
LRM
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 12:51

No, Ce2O3 should be OK but preparing this oxide and preventing from oxidizing to CeO2, which it does very readily may not be so easy.

Definitely not looking forward to producing Ce2O3 but the whole process I am looking at would need to be done mostly in a dry inert atmosphere anyway.

If I do have to go the Ce2O3 route I was thinking that going straight from a tube furnace to the ammonium bromide reaction for the CeBr3 might work out with only minimal losses to oxidation during the tube to tube transfer.

Could you use a proxy such as cerium III oxalate?

I was also looking into a couple other cerium compounds but separating the CeBr3 from the side products without putting everything into solution does not seem likely.

The last step of my project will require the CeBr3 to be anhydrous so the ammonium bromide route with an oxide is very attractive. Would be great if I am overlooking some easier option here!

Go To Top