Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: 2020 Secret Santa [tell everyone how it went]
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 8-12-2020 at 20:58

I too got a postcard from Madhatter. I didn't know this was happening, I signed up but never saw an email so I forgot about it

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 8-12-2020 at 21:06

I haven't seen anything in my mailbox, but Canada Post is notoriously slow, so I'm not surprised.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 01:15

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
You know, waking up at noon doesn't help make the days feel any longer :P

I received a cheeky postcard from Maine as well! Happy Holidays to you too, MadHatter!

Fully aware---but I really have no schedule and just ain't never been a morning person. But we get a minute a day or something on sunset.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 05:48

Package to my secret recipient should've already been delivered, please enjoy it!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 07:16

I received a nice parcel from Poland! My secret santa has done his best to make a nice present! It includes a few books, including a unique one from 1924 with unknown/forgotten chemistry. Exactly the things I like and which may lead to new ideas for experiments. I'll have to rely on Google translate though, part of the books are in Polish, but the pictures, and formulas luckily are understandable :) I already learned a few polish words which appear all over again.

But the books were not the only things. It also included some handcrafted pieces of glassware from the 1950's and 1960's, mineral samples and many really well-tasting sweets. I am not the only person in my household who likes the sweets. They contain some kind of fruity gel, which combines very well with the exterior chocolate layer. Something typically Polish, or eastern european?

I also have some work to do, decoding some symbolic message, and trying to identify some minerals, which can be found in Poland :)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 10:55

Us Texas boys must be MadHatter’s favorites, as I too got a Christmas card from him. Merry Christmas to you MadHatter and to everyone else on this board!

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 16:19

Just received a package from the North Pole thanks very much SS!!
I have not opened it yet as I have not managed to send mine off, so it would hardly be fair. I am confident though that my gift will make it before Christmas.
The package is under the tree, very much looking forward to it thank you!
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 17:18

I just received 10x 10ml beakers........thank you Santa!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 20:05

can NEVER have too many beakers

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 20:11

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I've not used ones that small before but i'm sure they will come in handy! I gave 1 to my local pharmacist and he was greatly amused at the size and the fact it was actually glass. :)
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 20:13

Quote: Originally posted by nzlostpass  
Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I've not used ones that small before but i'm sure they will come in handy! I gave 1 to my local pharmacist and he was greatly amused at the size and the fact it was actually glass. :)

I have a couple and use them all of the time!

They are great when you are doing things on a test tube scale, but want a bit more access to the reaction mix for stirring ect.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 01:20

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

I have a couple and use them all of the time!

They are great when you are doing things on a test tube scale, but want a bit more access to the reaction mix for stirring ect.

I almost exclusively work with 10, 25, 50, 100 mL beakers and 10, 20 mL glass vials. It's excellent for gram and sub-gram scale, can't recommend it enough to people to scale down their experiments. They get a lot safer, higher yields and success rate.

Of course when you want to make some terephthalic acid from PET you also need that 10 L beaker lol

SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 05:06

I recieved my secret Santa gift and my jaw dropped to the floor. I was given a beaker set 250-2000ml and 200mm crystalizing dish. To whomever my secret santa was, thank you so much. The government has basically cancelled Christmas in my neck of the woods so this really has made my Christmas. I hope you and yours are healthy and well.

Merry Christmas to everyone on ScienceMadness!
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 09:50

I also received my gift. Unfortunately the courier threw it across the yard in the mud so it was opened and unpacked by my mother, who proceeded to spoil the surprise. This aside, Santa sent me some little glass bottles with interesting and useful chemicals:

Anhydrous FeCl3, which made me realize that it's supposed to be a black solid, and the whole kg I was gifted years ago by my old school is hydrated (!)
KSb(OH)6, which is a welcome addition to my poor collection of Sb compounds (read: only Sb metal)
Litmus, an indicator I never really thought about buying even though it's ubiquitous in old books I like, so it's interesting to see in real life!
Ba dithionate, which I also did not have
Ammonium heptamolybdate, which I already have, but I'm always happy to stock up on chemicals, especially seeing how the EU will probably soon ban even baking soda
a-napthol, of which I have the brother b-napthol, and who is a nice addition to my organics, still hoping I'll get better and in the mood for some syntheses (including some molybdates, hopefully).

Lastly, volume II of the Treadwell, 8th Ed. I could start looking for volume I to complete the set, even though I have way too many qualitative analytical chemistry books, so this one is just fine on his own.

This gift was very appreciated! Thank you again!

16080547130951727803023014934784.jpg - 2.4MB

[Edited on 15-12-2020 by valeg96]

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 13:28

Little late sending mine gift this year but it’s in the mail.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 13:32

Man, I'm starting to think the gift I sent wasn't good enough.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 13:36

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  

It's excellent for gram and sub-gram scale, can't recommend it enough to people to scale down their experiments. They get a lot safer, higher yields and success rate.

They are safer, indeed but on the other hand - the yields are often smaller because the impact of mechanical loses is much more significant. It requires definitely better technique.
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 17:12

Anticipation is killing me. I keep checking the mailbox. I can't actually remember who I paired myself with, which is a good thing. I randomised on a spreadsheet and sent the info out and tried to not read how people were matched.

I find 10mL beakers really useful: good for the same things that test tubes are used for, good for mixing up small quantities of something: eg indicators, good for taking a small sample and testing a synth in progress or testing for different ions, anything small scale.
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 17:21

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Man, I'm starting to think the gift I sent wasn't good enough.

It's not what is sent/received that counts, its the thought that a stranger went out of their way to send a science related gift....I was really excited to get mine and will always treasure the beakers I received.Thanks again Santa! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing my recipients reaction but am also worried they may not be happy with what I sent but it is hard to know what exactly to send.....and nz doesnt have much to offer in the subject of what the recipient wanted.

If it does bother you though, you could always dropship something else as others seem to have sent seperate orders.

[Edited on 16-12-2020 by nzlostpass]
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Anticipation is killing me. I keep checking the mailbox. I can't actually remember who I paired myself with, which is a good thing. I randomised on a spreadsheet and sent the info out and tried to not read how people were matched.

I find 10mL beakers really useful: good for the same things that test tubes are used for, good for mixing up small quantities of something: eg indicators, good for taking a small sample and testing a synth in progress or testing for different ions, anything small scale.

I'm worried now that people thought I was being ungrateful by my comment on not using them before but that wasnt my intention at all!

I just havnt used beakers much as I do a lot of distillations so generally use flasks but now I have them, they most definately will be put to good use!

I liked the idea of trying things on a smaller scale first as I do have failed reactions more often than successes but it could be because I use majority of otc chems.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 18:33

I'm worried now that people thought I was being ungrateful by my comment on not using them before but that wasnt my intention at all!

I just havnt used beakers much as I do a lot of distillations so generally use flasks but now I have them, they most definately will be put to good use!

I liked the idea of trying things on a smaller scale first as I do have failed reactions more often than successes but it could be because I use majority of otc chems.

I don't think anyone thinks that, I certainly didn't.
BTW, did you happen to send your gift to Sydney Australia? I received a package from NZ.
I am definitely looking forward to opening it (the customs declaration may have given it away a little), I am trying to wait until Christmas, we will see :D.
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 18:37

I did not read that at all, nzlostpass.

I have just been in the lab working out what is going wrong with my silver recycling and the small beakers have been in play again.
(Mixed bag of degraded silver nitrate, silver chloride precipitate (maybe bromide+iodide as well), silver crystals from silver tree experiment contaminated with copper. Some unexpected brown coloration as soon as I poured silver oxide precipitate onto the filter paper. I am going to have to do some reading: I thought I had the theory all straight in my head, but apparently not.)
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 05:05

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

I don't think anyone thinks that, I certainly didn't.
BTW, did you happen to send your gift to Sydney Australia? I received a package from NZ.
I am definitely looking forward to opening it (the customs declaration may have given it away a little), I am trying to wait until Christmas, we will see :D.

I may have ;) Considering i'm probably the only kiwi doing the secret santa, I figured you may guess!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 14:52

Lighten up everyone. Realize what a small group of nerds that we are. Personally, I'm, limited dollar wise what I can send, but I do have treasures that I share (books.....) This is a wonderful thing.

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 16:31

I hear rumours that this has turned into some kind of swingers oarty. People have been swapping santas.

Hilarious.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top