Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: 2020 Secret Santa [tell everyone how it went]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 21:13

Woohoo. Lookee what turned up. (According to my wife, pressies without pretty wrapping go at the back, but this has pride of place for now.)

IMG20201217151016.jpg - 3MB
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 22:19

I just received a second gift, which I opened because I didn't realise it was a gift.
Thank you very much SS2, much appreciated!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 17-12-2020 at 09:25

Just found toluene for sale in Texarkana. W00t. Bought a gallon with the gift card Santa sent me. Some 10 percent ammonium hydroxide also.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 17-12-2020 at 11:12

I received mine too!
I don't know from whom it is, but it apparently came from next door, from holland :)
Mine is on the way too and I hope the receiver is satisfied :)
Man I'm eager to open it on next thursday(we open them on christmas eve in the evening not the next morning), it is very exciting!
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 17-12-2020 at 18:02

I received a great big parcel today!

Sadly, it wasn't from my SS, but just an "appreciation gift" from my college for having reached a benchmark number of years at this job. Still patiently waiting.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 00:11

Oooh! I got a postcard from Maine!

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 03:23

OOooh I have been away for long.
These past 6 weeks have been hard for me but I started getting more and more GOOD news the last 2 weeks. Including a new job starting the 4th !

I have an even BIGGER grin now on my face because of what arrived this morning.
Unfortunately I wont be able to focus my attention on the riddle for the next couple of days as I am leaving again this afternoon for a few days and I'm still packing.
I received my pcr test this morning without which I wouldnt have been able to board the plane.

I havent checked if my SS received his parcel yet. I'm glad I sent it some weeks ago so I'm hopeful. It was a bit improvised as two different Elven tribes were unable to deliver on time :-/

On my side I have a riddle along a mistery chemical, a very long and fun letter letter, and a few goodies that made me giggle a lot. Will share a pic when I get back.

So Dear Santa, I'll be back in a week and launch a proper investigation then on the mistery chemical.
But now I have your adress and you'll be getting a local mineral early next year from a very specific vein. I now know you have a great sense of humor so I'm pretty sure it'll all make sense ;)

(But I feel ashamed I couldnt put the same efforts in the letter as you did!)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 24-12-2020 at 13:51

Merry Christmas one and all! I hope everyone has an enjoyable festive season. Thanks so much to my SS. I got a nice little mineral collection. NZlostpass I have been looking for a piece of cinnabar for ages!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-12-2020 at 17:48

Well, Santa really outdid himself this year.
One beautiful sep funnel. Large enough for the job: no more washing product in little batches. And it is high quality German hlass. AND monogramed with my SM tag.
Then there was a little cache of calcium carbide. Noce post-stalking there. There is a lovely reaction between Cl2 and acetylene that I have been longing to do and to video for ages. CaC2 has a limited shelf life so I guess it needs to happen in the next 12 months.
And finally, a little sample of erbium. I think this will go steaight into the element collection, but I might scavange a little bit for an interesting salt.

I will post pics later. But thank you so much B(a)P. So much appreciated. And the card was great too.

[Edit, pic]

IMG20201225133217.jpg - 2.8MB

[Edited on 25-12-2020 by j_sum1]
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 24-12-2020 at 20:02

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Well, Santa really outdid himself this year.
One beautiful sep funnel. Large enough for the job: no more washing product in little batches. And it is high quality German hlass. AND monogramed with my SM tag.
Then there was a little cache of calcium carbide. Noce post-stalking there. There is a lovely reaction between Cl2 and acetylene that I have been longing to do and to video for ages. CaC2 has a limited shelf life so I guess it needs to happen in the next 12 months.
And finally, a little sample of erbium. I think this will go steaight into the element collection, but I might scavange a little bit for an interesting salt.

I will post pics later. But thank you so much B(a)P. So much appreciated. And the card was great too.

[Edit, pic]

[Edited on 25-12-2020 by j_sum1]

No problems, glad you like. It is from Platinum Laboratory Services.
Thanks for organising SS and for all the time you put in as a mod.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 25-12-2020 at 11:52

Received some lovely chemistry socks from DraconicAcid! Thank you so much! I have many more opportunities to wear long, warm socks here in Utah than I did in Texas.

Skype_Picture_2020_12_25T19_50_12_953Z.jpeg - 3.2MB

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2020 at 13:51

Glad you like them!

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 25-12-2020 at 15:28
Another Christmas present

Somebody sent me this T-shirt.
Had to crop the photo to upload.
ATOM.jpg - 782kB
Thank You !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 05:51

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Merry Christmas one and all! I hope everyone has an enjoyable festive season. Thanks so much to my SS. I got a nice little mineral collection. NZlostpass I have been looking for a piece of cinnabar for ages!

I'm pleased there was something in there of interest to you.....we don't have a lot of real interesting rocks here but I had some of that to try extract the mercury but never got around to it.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 10:39

i think the usps has fucked off the package i sent to Canada. Goddamned trump. I've u2u'ed the recipient, and so sorry for any disappointment.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 10:53

Canada Post has been overwhelmed this year, so it's slower than normal (which means packages have been seen going backwards).

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 10:54

ok. hope it works out. as y'all know this is like my favorite thing.

*edit* still gonna blame trump

[Edited on 12-26-2020 by arkoma]

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 12:55

So not specifically secret Santa, and not at all related SM, my boss got me some element samples and a periodic table poster. He was happy to have someone science minded to enjoy them, lol. Samples are labeled except indium in the little squeeze dropped bottle.

IMG_20201223_180745732.jpg - 1.7MB

He's got awesome stories about working at Rocketdyne years ago, studying chemical properties. Technically I work for his son, my friend from college years ago, but he owns the building. A family of intelligent and well humored individuals, I'm glad to know them.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2020 at 14:52

Santa delivered my gift in great shape I will add a photo in a bit.

Thank you very much Santa

Syn'

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2020 at 06:26

I want to thank Texium for the gifts that he sent me, some unique old glassware as well as a ScienceMadness T-Shirt. I did not have a retort that large before, only little ones. It will go with some of my other old pharmacy and science glassware that I have collected. I have had a lot of friends and family with various issues lately, so I am sorry to be late to thank you.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and I really hope that 2021 will be much better, as this has been a truly horrible year for most everyone I know. But the people here have been a great virtual community to be part of, so I really enjoy reading and emailing all of the people on here. Several have become email friends, and I have even meet a few in person over the years, and hope to do more of that. Especially Jsum1, as going to Australia would be a hoot.
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 08:35

Unfortunately still nothing came to my door :(
It's probably because of our post service, they suck big time. Could I please ask my secret santa to anonymously (or not) send the tracking number to me? It's the only way for me to know if maybe my local post office didn't just send it back without me even knowing. My mail is antiguasm@pm.me, thanks!

nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 19:27

What an awesome surprise!!!! Went to mailbox and was pissed off that a package I bought here in nz had not arrived and the seller had charged me 3x the normal postage rate so would have expected it in less than the 5 days it has been now..............but to my utter surprise, there was a mystery package from Australia........what could this be I asked myself?..........opened it to find 50 grams of NaBH4!!!!! Thank you so very much to whoever sent this!!! :)
Cant recommend Secret santa enough.......he/she is a great guy/gal!!!! 10 cool wee beakers and now this......awesome!!!! :)
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 08:04

I’d like to thank Dr. Bob for being my Secret Santa! This was my first time to participate, and despite a few little glitches, all ended up well. I received my package from Dr. Bob the day before yesterday, Thursday, and opened it last night. I would recommend to anyone to cheat however you can to get Dr. Bob as your secret Santa! The array of things he included in my package was amazing! Books, glassware, syringes and other plastic ware, vials, little jars, screw top culture tubes, etc. I haven’t had a Christmas present that fun in many many years! Each layer held more and more sunrises! Thank you so much Dr. Bob!! Overall this Secret Santa has been great, though I have no idea whether or not my receiver ever got his gift. I ordered it from eBay UK and had it shipped directly to his home. I hope he got it. Anyway, you can bet I will be participating again. I think this is the best forum out there!

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2021 at 20:53

I recieved my other package last week but forgot to mention it here. I got a great book "Friday" by Robert A. Heinlein, some great sand, and awesome Arkansas 25c piece and a huge piece of petrified wood.

20210109_151519.jpg - 209kB

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2021 at 18:01

I just received a hella nice 24/40 condensor! Thanks, Secret Santa!

Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top