Printable Version  
Author: Subject: YOUR inventory against Covid - Chemicals & Hardware only
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 18:39
YOUR inventory against Covid - Chemicals & Hardware only

Hi all,

At the beginning of the crisis I tried making a small inventory of what I had available. I was amusing myself then as the list in my head was getting longer I realized this:

I had ethanol, a lot of isopropanol, other alcohols that could be of use , concentrated bleach, NaDCCA, TCCA, bromine salts that could be used to make bromine, potassium permanganate, iodine, formaline, paraformaldehyde...
Damn, even the copper nitrate waste could be used... Phenol(s) too!
No peracetic acid but... Sodium percarbonate !
And several kilograms of fine silver powder in case the virus grew claws and fur :cool:

I felt a bit like the space marine in Aliens boasting about his arsenal in the dropship realizing that a lot around me could be used with a bit of work to wage war on any virus bold enough to come within sponge reach.

When it comes to hardware, I dont think a big black light lamp ramp counts. Neither does my blue laser :)

What about you ? What did you have in store that could have been used in the most extreme cases ?
I'm not necessarily asking what you have actually used. Just what you could have used :)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 19:10

For the most extreme cases?
NaClO2, to prepare a solution of ClO2 from, I guess, would be the most radical measure I have on hand, at least if it is as effective as I think it is.
But except that, almost everything you mention too... but that should be part of any normal equipped laboratory anyways, no? :)

Not that quantity of silver powder though(sadly) :D
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 20:25

I went straight to the local hardware shop only to find all the ethanol was gone, so I immediately upgraded my still.
I topped up my supply of concentrated bleach.
Otherwise I felt I had all I needed.
There was a time where I was concerned about TP because the panic buying in my country made it unavailable for about a month, thankfully the supply came back online before my household ran out.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 21:54

I already had a large container of isopropanol before this mess - wifey was buying tiny 100ml bottles at huge expense so I went bulk.
I also have a couple of germicidal UV lamps ( in EPROM erasers), and sufficient electronics for the construction of an ozone generator.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 00:24

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

What do you have in store that could have been used

Ah, er..... Soap.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health

Go To Top