Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical containers?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 01:23
Chemical containers?

Where do you get the fanciest looking chemical bottles and containers? I've been looking around for reasonably priced ones, and I don't want to use mason jars or any such bottles because they just look so unprofessional - and they are also unsafe and the caps are unsuitable for anything reactive.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 01:55

Keep an eye on the trash at your school/institution. You'll soon stock up way more glass containers that you'll ever need. Also, medicine bottles are of comparable quality to chemical containers (glass and PE, PP). Don't use anything PET or PVC.

TriiodideFrog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 02:08

Here are some websites you may try looking for chemical containers.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p23345...

http://www.canfortlab.com/Screw-cap-reagent-bottle-p446.html

monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 03:39

I use media bottles for solid reagents (large neck) and for liquids I use cheap Boston round bottles from eBay/Amazon and some PTFE lined caps from here: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23577
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 07:36

I second what monolithic said, I ordered a large number of various HDPE jars/bottles form usplastic.com. Many people prefer glass but I was ok starting out with HDPE for now. I didn't get the PTFE lined caps but maybe I should have, we'll see.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 10:55

I buy mine.
Media bottles for liquids - clear or brown, HDPE for most solids, a few security bottles for stock.
And caps, lots of GL45 caps from every material possible. The caps cost more than the bottles themselves by far.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 00:46

I use a lot of 1000 ml GL45 bottles for liquids. They are great and don't leak much. I store all my solvents in them since I found out the original packaging leaks over time. For difficult stuff like HNO3, HCl, amines, I use the red PTFE-lined GL45 caps but they are expensive.

For powders, I found qorpak bottles are great: brown glass, PTFE-lined caps, wide neck and they come in various sizes. 100 ml GL-45 bottles also work well for small amounts of powders.

For very small quantities of liquids or powders, I found that vials from the company Infochroma AG work very well. They come in all sizes from 1 to 50 ml, have PTFE-lined caps and are completely leak tight.

I have used jam jars for a while before that, but some things tend to rust the lids or dissolve their plastic lining. Still works well for dry powders.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  
Medicine bottles are of comparable quality to chemical containers (glass and PE, PP). Don't use anything PET or PVC.

Some medical plastic bottles are made from PET plastic.
Any particular reason they cant be used if i check the chemical resistance PET vs chemical?

Go To Top